Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sewed a Maya Wrap. For those who've used a Maya with a newborn, do you have any tips for me?<br><br>
I'm afraid I will chicken out and not use it.<br><br>
I also have a Hotsling and a New Native but want to give the Maya a try.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My advice for using a Maya with a newborn--which might differ from others--is to use it with the baby upright, rather than in a cradle hold.<br><br>
Put the Maya on loosely with the rings on your left shoulder. Gently insert the baby from the top, so his/her legs are inside the sling, kind of folded up (bent) and the baby's head is against your chest. Then tighten the rails and the center so that s/he's secure.<br><br>
This has been my very favorite way to carry both my own and others' (pp doula clients') babies in the Maya. I find that newborns are much happier upright unless they're being nursed.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
The one thing that I always found most helpful with a newborn in the sling is to pull up the fabric on the chest side to make the pouch shallower, as babe can get lost in the usually large amount of fabric. As always, babe will pick up on any anxiety or frustration you may be feeling, so feel calm and relaxed when learning to use your new sling.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
yes, definitly try the upright tummy-to-tummy position. my tip for a good snug fit in that position is to start with the inner rail (the side of the "pouch" that's on your chest) really tight up against you. then you can open up the outside rail just enough to be able to get baby in. this way you only have to make small adjustments after baby is in the sling. i find it much easier and more secure this way.<br>
make sense?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just to clarify, Maya Wrap is a brand name. Otherwise, this style of sling is an unpadded ring sling.<br><br>
Anyway, try this: <a href="http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowToO/SRNewborn.htm" target="_blank">http://www.thebabywearer.com/article.../SRNewborn.htm</a><br>
It works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts