Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newborn son is not pooping according to the expected "norm" for breastfed babes. He's my 3rd, second homebirth. I have tons of milk and he's feeding well. Lots of wet diapers!! Gaining weight well. I know that expected norm is avg. 4 poops per 24 hours at his age. He is almost 2 weeks old and has only spontaneously pooped twice since birth at 1 and 4 days of life. He was stimulated by rectal exam in MDs office to poop a 3rd time at 8 days of life. Now he is 12 days old. I actually, reluctantly, just gave him a glycerin suppository due to him being a little fussier than usual and his daddy was worried about him.<br><br>
Any comments/advice/experience with this sort of thing would be lovely to hear about. It would be very nice to read about familiar experiences!!<br><br>
I am and LC and certainly am aware that older breastfed infants can have infrequent bms after 3-6 weeks of age. Its the infrequent stooling from birth that has really gotten us concerned. I know that it is not "normal" but I have been surprised at how unusual/unheard of this sort of infrequent stooling is in newborns less than 3 weeks of age is.<br><br>
Any experiences with this sort of thing in such a young one?<br><br>
Mary Herrington<br>
Conroe, Texas

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't quite remember how dd was her first weeks after birth but she is one that doesn't poop all that often, Her norm for a long time was once a week to 10 days. I would say that this might be outside of "normal" but OK, if you know what I mean. He seems to be wetting enough diapers though, showing that he is utilizing your milk.<br><br>
I wish you both all the best!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
How often is he nursing? Is he sleeping long stretches at a time? I would expect him to be having 2-5 yellow poops, at least the size of a US quarter, per 24 hours at this point. You said you are a LC so I am sure you know this already! Is he gaining OK?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My son never had as many poops as those charts said he should. Really, he pooped maybe 2 or 3 times a week at the most. He still doesn't go more than a few times a week. I was pretty stressed when he was a newborn but now I realize that it's just his normal. As long as your son isn't constipated and he's peeing normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts