Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak<br><br>
my LO is 7 days old and still has dark poop. she had 3 meconium poops within the first 24 hours then didn't poop again until yesterday. the consistency of yesterdays poop was good but a very dark brown. she just pooped again but it was more on the thicker, pastier side and still dark.<br><br>
why is this? is it a variation of normal?<br><br>
she is breastfed

·
Registered
861 Posts
It's a variation of normal. My youngest never had the newborn "yellow with granules" type poop and almost no meconium. She went straight to the consistency of paste, similar to that of a baby that has started solids. She only pooped every 5 days or so and the day she did poop she was crabbier than usual (fortunately, that didn't mean much since she's one of the happiest babies around). Once she started solids it became a problem, because she became constipated. I took her to the chiro and she actually had a few of those newborn poops she initially missed, and then settled into the beginning solids poop. Its happens more often than every 5 days now and she no longer gets crabby. If your little one is handling it just fine, than it's just the way she works. If it seems to bother her, than I would take her to the chiro for a back adjustment. It's completely safe on an infant that age (my second to the youngest was seeing a chiro from birth due to hip dysplasia). It's a bit freaky as a parent to see it happen, but the babies never even notice, or at least mine didn't.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts