Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had Bf problems with DD1, but WHOA were they worse with DD2 (happy to say, all is well now).<br><br>
I thought I had sleep problems with DD1, but WHOA are they worse with DD2.<br><br>
DD1 had the "typical" newborn pattern of waking often to eat, but nursing back to sleep easily. At that age, it was only hard because I was up often. (Things got far worse later, but that's another story).<br><br>
DD2 started off seeming to be easier . . .I'd nurse her and she'd fall asleep and STAY asleep even if she was just beside me and not on top of me.<br><br>
Now, she is fussy from 6-9 p.m., sleeps a good stretch from 9 p.m.-1 a.m., then is UP until 3 or 4 or even later (nurses, sometimes falls asleep, but wakes up if I bring her to bed). Then she's up again at 5 or 6 a.m. She's awake a lot during the day, too. The only way she'll sleep is in the wrap (tummy-to-tummy) or if we are sitting upright on the sofa (not in bed for some reason). I can't always nurse lying down, either (I stay awake).<br><br>
She didn't start off this way, but she is far "burpier" than DD1. Does this sound like a stomach issue? She's never inconsolable, just fussy.<br><br>
I am SO tired. (Aren't we all?)

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
sounds like normal newborn behavior to me. Not all babies need as much sleep as those experts like to say they do. Neither of mine did.<br>
you might want to try eliminating dairy from your diet, give it a few weeks and see if that helps. But mostly, I'd suggest you not worry about it and sleep when baby sleeps. (how many times can a new mom hear that phrase, anyway? :LOL)

·
Registered
557 Posts
If she has problems laying down and wanting to sleep upright she might have a touch of reflux. All newborns have it a little which is why they all spitup. Some have it a little more than others and it bothers them. You might call your ped and see if they will let you give her something for it. I think I have heard of some people giving tiny bits of Maalox or the like to the baby, but you would want to ask the Ped. to tell you how much and what to give. You might just have to give it at night, not during the day.<br><br>
Other suggestions is to maybe try letting her sleep in her carseat next to your bed. If she likes the semi upright position.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
do u think she just prefers to sleep on u? if u sleep with her on ur chest will she sleep better? my dd slept well only if she slept on my chest the first couple of months of her life. after that seh would lay next to me but she would have to touch me with her feet.<br><br>
has she always been fussy from 6 -9? she might just have colic. that doesnt help though because in my personal opinion colic can be for a number of reasons. but if u feel she is more gassier - if she has the typical colic painful cry or her stomach is hard and she arches her back a lot u could try gripe water and burping more often.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My DD #1 was colicky and gassy in the evenings. Our ped suggested mylicon gas drops for her. I would give them to her before nursing in the evening if she was gassy. Usually it helped, but sometimes it didn't. She outgrew it by about three months and was as pleasant as can be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts