Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi moms I am new to this forum and a first time mom. I have a question about my 3 week 5day newborn. About once a day may for about an hour maybe two he has this fussy time - he makes cry sound while nursing, sometimes pulling off and latching back on other times just staying attached. Now and then he does this little scream. He seems to suck more and be less patient. Then when I go to burp him, he vomits what seem all the milk he drank (he proberly vomits 2 or 3 times during that fussy session). Sometimes I wonder if he is just eating too much. He doesn't vomit thoughout the rest of the day - maybe might do it once or if he wasn't burp properly and we lay him down to do a diaper change. Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this and if have any suggestions. FYI he is gaining weight fine so far - he is in the 75 percentile for weight and height.

P.S. If you have any experience with baby acne too I'd like to know if you did anything to clear it up.

Thanks moms

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My second does this still at 4 1/2 months. Not everynight now, but in the beginning (first 3 months) it was at least 5 times a week. She was just overeating. She had a full belly, couldn't be content any other way, than nursing. So we got a set up of the 'puke shield' -just a towel really- and waited for the puke. Now it seems like a ton of milk and she always wants to eat right after, but it is likely not as much milk as I think. I would roll with it. Some will say reflux and get meds, but if it doesn't seem to bother babe, then it is likely just an immature valve at the esophagus and will get better with time.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My now 6mo dd did that same thing sometimes. It wasn't all time and I didn't know what was causing it. I went to see my chiropractor to adjust my back for residual back labor pain and I asked him if an adjustment might help her. He treats babies all the time (a lot of his clients are Amish and they have lots of babies
) and was glad to adjust her. Her back was out and he gave her a very gentle adjustment that she slept right through. That took care of the problem for awhile and then it came back so we went back about a month later. The second adjustment made her mad but that took care of it and she hasn't had any trouble since.

Definitely worth a try, I just recommend a chiropractor that is used to adjusting babies. BTW, though my chiro treats babies all the time he isn't on the ICPA list.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
It's really typical
Sounds like a laundry issue rather than a medical concern
. Breastmilk looks like SO much when it mixes w/stomach fluids...and a majority of babies I've met have a fussy period. Often times, when baby is pulling off, he may be trying to stimulate another "let down"...or the cry could signal he just got a big mouthful of milk which surprised him...or he could just have tummy issues (which most newborns have lots of interesting intestinal figuring out to do
)

Do you have a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? It was my daily comforting reference for many months with my first

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Ooops, I forgot to welcome and congratulate you
I can really relate to concerns over "is this normal??"

Since you mentioned you didn't get a response in LWAB, let's try Breastfeeding
Some wonderfully helpful mamas in here!!!

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job meeting his needs and mothering him so attentively. I might also recommend keeping him as gently upright as possible after he nurses to avoid the regurgling of his meals

1 - 7 of 7 Posts