Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My daughter brought home pink eye from preschool and it made the rounds in our family and finally got to my one-month old DD. We got the abx drops from the local urgent care (cause of course it happened over the weekend) but I wasn't sure if i could use the drops for her so i called our family doc and he said not to use them unless it gets to be severe/red/swollen. Right now its just a little goopy. Do I squirt bm in it and wait and see? Take her in? Can this lead to serious issues in a newborn? Its obviuosly not ffrom an std or anything...thx</p>

·
Registered
101 Posts
<p>I would use breastmilk in his eyes.  It can't hurt and will probably help. </p>

Reactions: KempsMama

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
<p>We had it over hear too, when DS2 was two months old.  He got goopy, but never progressed to full blown pink eye.  Hopefully the same thing will happen to your LO!</p>

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Another vote for breastmilk-- I've cleared up most of my kids' cases of conjunctivitis with breastmilk. Just express some, and use a very clean medicine dropper, or you can squirt directly from the source. Do it six or seven times a day-- every time you change a diaper, for instance. I always saw results within 24 hours.<br><br>

·
Registered
6 Posts
<p>If it does progress to the point that you want to take her to the doc, they will probably prescribe eurythromycin ointment, an antibiotic. It's the same ointment routinely administered right after birth. It's not too harsh and it doesn't sting - I tried it in my own eye before I would apply it to my 8-month-old's eye for pinkeye.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts