Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a week overdue with my second and everyone in my house is getting sick. Ds has a cold, and dh, our roommate, and I are all starting to get it. The baby will probably be here before we get better.

Should I be worried? Are colds dangerous to newborns? Is that why some people keep their babies in for the first few weeks?

·
Registered
679 Posts
We had the same situation when my newest LO was born (everybody else sick in the days before I gave birth), and I dont mean to scare you, but we ended up in the hospital with baby at 5 days old. She had a fever and it was very scary how quickly barely 100.4 made baby unable to nurse and utterly listless and asleep. We ended up doing the full sepsis workup as well as getting IV fluids so she could wake up enough to nurse again, and it was very scary! We were there for 2 days and I will never get my babymoon back.

Keep the sick people away, wash hands like crazy, get some face masks. I dont wish our experience on anybody!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I agree, I'd lock absolutely everyone out until they were well. Baby will probably have some of your antibodies, so I don't think there's as much of a risk from you. Sucks, but you really don't want a sick newborn.

My husband got a very extreme, life threatening case of food poisoning around the time our baby was due. The doc told us to keep him away from the baby, not to even touch him until several days after he was better. Thankfully that time elapsed before Bear was born, but we were prepared to go through with it, even though it would have been heartbreaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.