Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who skipped the infant bucket seat and went right to the convertible car seat, how did you find it worked? Did you find the newborn fit in it well? Did you need the extra infant insert for its head? Did you wish you had gone with the bucket seat? Did you feel safe with a newborn in a convertible?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm interested to hear what others have to say as we used a bucket last time, until about 9 months and then switched to the convertible... We plan on using the Cosco 3-in-1 this time from the very beginning...

Alayna

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We had the option of going straight for the Britax Roundabout because we already owned it ...well we bought it new before Benji came. We chose not to put him in it because it swallowed him whole. Since Benji was so little (4 weeks early and around 6 pounds), he was swallowed up by the bucket, too. I really like the bucket just because I feel it is just a little safer for a new baby, but that is a personal choice for everyone. If you skip the bucket, I would get the double infant headrest set and maybe the strap things, too. Who am I kidding? We had those for the bucket. Even if you get the most padded seat on the market, the infant headrests just give you a little more support.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
The problem is that you just don't know how long they are going to be which can have a pretty big effect on whether they fit or not. Also it really depends on what seat you are using.

One issue is you are not supposed to use after market products with the seat and that includes infant inserts unless sold with the seat or sold by the manufacturer and it specifically states it can be used with your seat. You can use rolled up receiving blankets on either side of them though.

The Britax Boulevard is the only one I would prob use for an infant, esp a small one, because it does come with an infant insert.

I'm just a carseat safety freak but I have no credentials. PM Thepeach80 (pretty sure that's her screen name or darn close to it, maybe it's just peach80), she is a CPST and answers questions on MDC all the time....also she's got some pics of her infant in some convertible seats where you can tell she doesn't fit properly at all.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Oh and the 3-in-1's are nice for extended rfing because they go to 35 lbs which is the highest rfing weight limit (Britax goes to 33 lbs and evenflo seats go to 30 lbs) but after that they aren't always the best seat. They can be hard to install but taking the base off of them usually helps tremedously. The bad part is that kids tend to outgrow it height-wise before they should be using the booster part of it (kids should be at least 4 yrs and 40 lbs before going to a belt positioning booster). So ppl tend to either use the booster way too early or they still have to go buy another seat. Also, and this is just what I've heard from CPST's since I don't have any kids in boosters yet, but I've heard it makes a crappy booster. But again it's a really nice seat for extended rfing...just don't buy into their marketing that it'll be the last seat you only need.

·
Registered
489 Posts
We used the Britax Roundabout from day one with our 6 lb. 35 weeker. Every car seat inspection we attended (and we sought all of them out) said that even a bit balled up, our babe was safe. He did indeed seem "swallowed up" by it...to the point where we would call him Kal-El (baby Superman in his escape pod to Earth) but the straps were going where they needed to go and he checked out with every inspection we went to.

With that said, we are going for the infant seat this time. I would like the option of being able to carry out a sleeping babe (the seat to sling transfer would only work about 50 percent of the time, unfortunately) from the car. And I did always find the balled-up baby in the big convertible carseat a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I do have lots of pics of Ilana in different seats. Good job remembering my name, Rachel.
I just took some new ones today of Ilana in the Roundabout. Since she's being happy, I should go get the AO (3-in-1) and snap some shots. She is starting to fit into the RA finally at 4 mos, 10# and 23". I'm still not comfortable w/ the space next to her legs b/c her legs are so small compared to the opening. If you see the pics, you'll understand. She does seem to fit well in the Boulevard though, and has since about 3 mos and 9# and 22" (so a nb for some moms, lol). She was 7#2oz at birth and I have some pics of her in the BV then and it was bad. She fit great in the Sunshine Kids Radian surprisingly and pretty well in the Cosco Scenera, any smaller though and it wouldn't have worked as the straps were as tight as possible already. Here's my whole album broken down by seats. If you want something specific and can't find it, let me know. http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f157/carseatqueen/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.