Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New yarn! I had the black thing going on this weekend, and some of it is pictured on my blog ( http://joycevance.typepad.com ). It leads to this question -- is it wrong to knit stuff for your husband or a child and then swipe it for yourself
:

The question is this -- I'm sure that many of y'all have seen that Patsy of My Child's Garden, she who makes the beautiful knitting markers that many of us treasure and use everyday, was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer last week. Midday Faire is having a benefit auction for her on friday, and I want to dye some yarn to offer. But I'm feeling stymied about choices. It seems so important to do this right so I can do at least a small something to help Patsy and her family through such a difficult time. I have no sense of what colors other people like -- I always just dye to please myself. Does anyone have a sense of what colors are "in" or popular? I want to do something that a lot of people will want to bid on, but I have no clue what kind of colors would attract a lot of interest. I am hoping that my cashmere will make it in in time to dye some of that for this auction as well, so any advice anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I don't know her work at all, and google didn't throw anything up: what colours do you associate with her? What kind of places, people? Any happy memories?
I'd make it personal to her and the people who care about her, rather than aiming for a generic "this colour will be popular and people will want to buy it." Make it a labour of love.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I love earthy colors, personally. I think an espresso brown is always a good base color for anything. I also like mixing blues and oranges and greens. I know those colors are great for summer or fall.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks y'all! this made me think back to a dress she made for my daugter. it's a big full twirly skiry of fairy fabric, and then she used one of my playsilks to make a sort of overskirt. i'm going to go back and pull colors from the dress and dye the yarn in them. el just loves that dress and i think of patsy everytime she wears it.

if you are interested, there's been a wonderful outpouring of support from the wahm community and there will be a lot of benefit auctions for patsy and her family this friday (the 18th). in addition to the midday faire mamas, wahms from all over have offered items and are starting to list their auctions as well. a lot of the previews are already up--you can see them at www.middayfaire.com and i expect more will be going up every day between now and friday. it's really great to see women helping women like this.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nausicaamom
Frankly - I love all of your yarns. Look at what's around to get some starting points and then go with your heart - your color sense is fantastic and I'm sure whatever your choose to do will be great.
i wish i could do this, but i can't ever look at other yarn for ideas. i don't see the colors right if that makes any sense, plus, i would feel like i was copying their yarn, lol. i always have to draw the inspiration from nature or a favorite painting or something weird like that. i drive my dh nuts b/c i'm forever wanting to "take a picture to save the colors for yarn." i obviously am going to need years of therapy to work thorugh this.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Oh, I am sorry to hear about Patsy. I did not know about this going on how awful- I hope that this outpouring of compassionate support help lift her spirits and eases her stress. but I'll be sure to keep an eye on the auction! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah
Oh, I am sorry to hear about Patsy. I did not know about this going on how awful- I hope that this outpouring of compassionate support help lift her spirits and eases her stress. but I'll be sure to keep an eye on the auction! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
the auctions start friday night at www.middayfaire.com

there are some wonderful items being donated, so please, if you don't mind, mention this to your friends too. i can't imagine how hard it is for them to go through all of this and then have the medical bills on top of it all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.