Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@serenbat I am sure you will know who I am talking about. >:D

For those who don't, he one of the most famous soccer players on the planet, he plays for Barcelona and Brazil. And he was VACCINATED. :laugh

Barcelona (AFP) - Brazil captain Neymar will miss Tuesday's European Super Cup in Tbilisi, Georgia, after contracting the mumps, Barcelona said Sunday.

The 23-year-old has previously been vaccinated against the viral disease more common in children, against which most people in the developed world are immunised when young.

"Neymar will be out for two weeks after being diagnosed with parotitis (mumps), despite the fact that he had previously been vaccinated against the disease," said Barca in a statement on their website.

As well as Tuesday's match against Sevilla, Neymar will also miss the two-legged Spanish Super Cup against Athletic Bilbao on August 14 and 17.
http://news.yahoo.com/neymar-two-we...sow.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

I wonder how many of the other Barcelona team members will come down with it also, Messi?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Well, Brazilians already have gotten word of Merck's hairy dealings with this vaccine, so at least they can draw their own conclusions. Meanwhile, their government is claiming a 96.1% efficacy rate.

I smell an NHL-esque outbreak on the horizon. Yuck. I hope he recovers soon!

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
I DO know!

and we know...............NO vaccine is 100% and the ONLY solution is to VACCINATE! :eyesroll

mumps at 18+ getting to be the other "NEW" normal??? :lol that's the time most seem to be getting these outbreaks! A vaccine failure? Sounds sooooooo leaky to me!

oh, and we will just start calling the MMR a "booster"! sounds more believable! booster-up people, get in-line and take one! Had 2?..... no problem go for 3 or MORE!

So, is the "science" settled on this part of the MMR???? :laugh

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least they are not blaming the non-vaxxed for this. If it was the US, it would have been blamed on some anonymous non-vaxxed kid who happened to be one of 99,000 plus fans at Camp Nou.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
If Merck's wrongdoing is messing with soccer (!) they are going to be in deep trouble. A few miserable college students or yeshiva students can be tolerated, but soccer is serious business.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Merck's wrongdoing is messing with soccer (!) they are going to be in deep trouble. A few miserable college students or yeshiva students can be tolerated, but soccer is serious business.
DH who is a huge soccer fan said that this will mess up some transfer plans for players while they wait for Neymar to recover. If any more Barcelona players come down with mumps it could have a huge impact on the team, the season is just beginning.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
I hope they sue Merck! Of course, they might use a different brand in Spain and South America.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Laughing or posting laughing smily faces at someone sick with any disease is distasteful and insensitive, whether they are vaccinated or not.

This is like posting a story about someone dying in a car accident who was wearing their seatbelt and trying to argue that must mean seat belts are worthless. Yes, we know that they are not 100% effective. It is expected that vaccinated people will catch diseases. The incidence of mumps has gone down well over 90% since the introduction of the vaccine, so clearly it has been effective.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Laughing or posting laughing smily faces at someone sick with any disease is distasteful and insensitive, whether they are vaccinated or not.

This is like posting a story about someone dying in a car accident who was wearing their seatbelt and trying to argue that must mean seat belts are worthless. Yes, we know that they are not 100% effective. It is expected that vaccinated people will catch diseases. The incidence of mumps has gone down well over 90% since the introduction of the vaccine, so clearly it has been effective.
- NO it's not and that is not what was done here either!

Maybe you should read the posts - no one laughed at him being sick!

It's laughing at how the PRO Agenda spin this - it's a vaccine FAILURE! That is :laugh because the PRO agenda fails to grasp this is happening more and more, yet the only solution is to make people think it's because of UN-vaccinated, it's NOT! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Glad you think incidences of mumps are down, many of us feel they are ignored! Not diagnosed! Missed!

Mumps is circulating and effecting those vaccinated in large outbreak numbers! Are we to pretend mumps is not circulating, should be think it might be shedding??? - oh, no can't be that! :wink:

Doesn't seem to be "down" if one really looks into it - not from what is being reported.

NHL - they missed that in the beginning too! - many had 3 doses too!

and still more cases - http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mumps-outbreak-as-2000-cases-reported-346524.html
a year ago, it ALSO was an issue - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...o-get-mumps-vaccine-as-cases-double-1.2020205

There have been numerous reports on this outbreaks too - AMONG those who were vaccinated - http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/06/mumps-outbreak-at-university-illinois-grows/

We are WELL aware the vaccine isn't 100% and that it's failing - failing those who would have been much safer to get the real disease at a young age instead of being 18+
The PRO agenda can keep harping about vaccines not being 100% all they want, that doesn't change these outbreaks are among those vaccinated!

It's a vaccine FAILURE!

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Yes, we know that they are not 100% effective. It is expected that vaccinated people will catch diseases.
Now you have posted this before and when asked failed to back this up - care to this time?

Where is the data that shows how many are expected to get a VPD? You keep saying this yet no reports from the CDC are out there (unless they only give them to you) that state the percentage of those vaccinated that will contract this or other diseases.

We do have data on the post-marketing and know what is reported on effectiveness. We knows, as with CP, etc that the effectiveness rates is much lower!

Mumps was never even near 100%! It wasn't even in the 90%!

These outbreaks are among those with multiple doses, clearly that isn't working either! These numbers of mumps are in "outbreaks" numbers............outbreaks with those vaccinated! These aren't just a few catching it - in most outbreaks, it's 100% of those vaccinated!!!!!!!!

I know one is to think that 16% is super for the flu vaccines and we should all rush out and get it, but like with the flu vaccines, this too is a dud!

So care to post and back up your claims on how many are expected to get? Let's see the number expected to get it for each disease instead of just throwing this out there in each thread! :grin:

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Wasn't the mumps portion of MMR found to be much less effective due to the research lying about it? After all, this very issue is in court.....so the answer is, More Less Effective Vaccine foisted off on the public to provide a false sense of security.
Merck accused of stonewalling in mumps vaccine antitrust lawsuit
BY BRENDAN PIERSON
Two former Merck & Co Inc scientists accusing the drugmaker of falsifying tests of its exclusive mumps vaccine said in a court filing on Monday that Merck is refusing to respond to questions about the efficacy of the vaccine.

Attorneys at Constantine Cannon, who represent the scientists, asked U.S. Magistrate Judge Lynne Sitarski of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania to compel Merck to respond to their discovery request, which asks the company to give the efficacy of the vaccine as a percentage.

Instead of answering the question, the letter said, Merck has been consistently evasive, using "cut-and-paste" answers saying it cannot run a new clinical trial to determine the current efficacy, and providing only data from 50 years ago.

"Merck should not be permitted to raise as one of its principal defenses that its vaccine has a high efficacy, which is accurately represented on the product's label, but then refuse to answer what it claims that efficacy actually is," the letter said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/04/health-vaccine-idUSL1N0YQ0W820150604

·
Registered
18,823 Posts

I've pointed this out before, but the accusation against Merck is that the mumps portion of the MMR has lost effectiveness by being used over and over again.

The original effective rate from 50 years ago isn't relevant to 2015.

This is one of my major frustrations in conversations with pro-vaccine people, is that no matter how many times I point out the same thing (time has passed), even if it is something which is quite obvious (we can all check dates and realize that time has passed), the same people will bring forward the exact same arguments as though the obvious facts have never been presented.

Good thing I have a sense of humor. :grin:

·
Registered
8,851 Posts

This is like posting a story about someone dying in a car accident who was wearing their seatbelt and trying to argue that must mean seat belts are worthless.
I knew someone was going to say the bolded. Mirzam can (easily) defend herself, but I think she was laughing at the idea that people think the mumps portion of MMR is going to offer long term protection. It pretty clearly doesn't offer decent long term protection, and not just because of this incident.

Comparing getting mumps to a fatal car crash is odd. Neymar is not going to die of the mumps and it is quite unlikely he will lose any fertility. That being said, I do think getting mumps if you are male post puberty is scary, due to the very slight chance it will impair fertility. Perhaps they need to add a booster in late adolescence ( I am somewhat surprised they have not done this yet) or hey, let children get the mumps as it is basically benign in children, and offer vaccination to adolescents who have never had the mumps.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
I knew someone was going to say the bolded. Mirzam can (easily) defend herself, but I think she was laughing at the idea that people think the mumps portion of MMR is going to offer long term protection. It pretty clearly doesn't offer decent long term protection, and not just because of this incident.

Comparing getting mumps to a fatal car crash is odd. Neymar is not going to die of the mumps and it is quite unlikely he will lose any fertility. That being said, I do think getting mumps if you are male post puberty is scary, due to the very slight chance it will impair fertility. Perhaps they need to add a booster in late adolescence ( I am somewhat surprised they have not done this yet) or hey, let children get the mumps as it is basically benign in children, and offer vaccination to adolescents who have never had the mumps.
When the vaccine was first developed, the quite sensible proposal was to give it to teens who hadn't had mumps. However, within a few years it was on the schedule and mumps very quickly turned into a terrible disease which can be compared (by some, at least) to a fatal car crash.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@serenbat and @kathymuggle, thank you. Your posts explain exactly what I meant. :x

It will be interesting to see how this is spun in the media. Neymar lives is Spain, but you can be sure if it was in this country and it was LeBron James the media would be wailing that the non-vaccinated caused this and that everyone should go out and get a third booster.

The fact of the matter is the mumps vaccine is failing and that is extremely obvious with the current outbreaks in young adults almost all of which have now had two doses. Neymar happens to be the most famous young adult to have experience this vaccine FAILURE to date.

Is so hard for vaccine enthusiasts to accept this fact? Just go out and get another MMR and you are good to go... or not.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
[MENTION=95191]

Is so hard for vaccine enthusiasts to accept this fact? Just go out and get another MMR and you are good to do... or not.
and slip-in as often as you can, NOT 100% and now the new buzz word - "booster"!!!! :grin:

It's not a booster people! :wink:

Hard to cry non-vaccers with the outbreaks here in the US among fully (as in 2 doses!) vaccinated college students! :eek:

·
Registered
5,075 Posts

It's still insensitive. Even if it isn't usually fatal, it can be very uncomfortable. He is going to be out for two weeks and is at risk of losing his fertility (even if it isn't a big risk it's still there)

If there was a story of a basketball player out for two weeks due to a bad ear infection who risked losing his hearing in that ear but was ultimately going to be fine and I posted "...and he treated it with HOMEOPATHY :laugh" people would call me out for being insensitive because it is. These are people we're talking about here.

And I am not comparing mumps to a fatal car crash. I am comparing the frequent posting of stories of vaccine failure as if that means they don't work or don't work very well to seat belts. I could find lots of stories of people dying in car crashes despite wearing their seat belts, or people getting brain injuries despite wearing a helmet etc and it wouldn't surprise anyone because we know they aren't 100% effective. Wearing them is still better than not, though.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
If anyone here can find a statistic that says more total adults are getting mumps now than pre vaccine, I'll concede the point that the benefit/risk ratio of the vaccine might be in question for the mumps portion (although we would have to look at the total number of hospitalizations/complications total pre vaccine to now to assess the risk/benefit analysis as well.)

Because remember, if 3 million people a year got mumps before the vaccine, even if only half a percent of those cases were in adults that would still add up to 15,000+ cases per year.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
This is like posting a story about someone dying in a car accident who was wearing their seatbelt and trying to argue that must mean seat belts are worthless.

teacozy;18976729 And I am not comparing mumps to a fatal car crash. I am comparing the frequent posting of stories of vaccine failure as if that means they don't work to seat belts. [/quote said:
whatever! Comes off as a compassion!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your posts are like a drinking game - predictable -with a 100% chance of getting the exact buzz words every time! :spit drink

When you can't deal with the vaccines FAILURES we are constantly see you resort to attacking the posters instead - predictable and lacking substance!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts