Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is much rejoicing in our Boulder home these days as we anxiously await the completion of DH's Master's degree so that we can return to our beloved Pacific Northwest. We lived in Seattle for 9 years before moving to this wicked alpine desert and we are anxious to return. This time, however, it will be with our 2 yr old DS.<br><br>
While we love the idea of returning to Seattle, we're not sure we can afford it. So, I'm scouting out alternatives and would love input from others in Washington and Oregon. Low-moderate housing prices are important. Fortunately, DH and I have portable jobs right now, so that's not a huge issue. Schools aren't a concern right now either as we're planning to homeschool (although an active secular homeschooling group might be nice).<br><br>
My need for water and mountain views and mild summer/winter climate limits our search quite a bit; as well as a desire to be in a progressive (maybe even college) town with access to lots of kid-friendly music venues (my DS is obsessed with orchestras and we hope to start him with suzuki teachers asap).<br><br>
We're a vegan family, so having a farmer's market, food co-op and/or health food store would be really helpful.<br><br>
My DS doesn't do well just playing at home, so we'd like to find a place with lots of "action" for him to observe/engage in, parks and the like. And, a place with other like-minded AP families for us to get to know, is also important.<br><br>
Does this sound like a place where you live, or have been in the Pacific Northwest? We'd love to be near the Canadian border (Bellingham?) or half-way between Seattle and Portland (Olympia?) or maybe even someplace in Oregon (love Portland, but fear it's almost as expensive as Seattle). I've heard Eugene is great, but I've never been and don't know if I can live that far inland w/out ocean/lakes/rivers...<br><br>
TIA for your input!!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I spent 3 years in Salt Lake for grad school so I completely understand the need to leave the desert and come home! I was going to suggest SE Portland but the housing prices are pretty high. Hopefully you'll get good suggestions from other people for outlying areas.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I love that town, I live in Seattle, and Oly has a lot of the qualities you mentioned, (liberal, progressive, farmers market, co-op, kid friendly, college, mountains, salt water, mild weather, affordable (commpared to Sea-PDX)<br><br>
Lots of parks, shoreline, and it seems like a great place to live! My sister lives there and really likes it for her and her 7 year old son!<br><br>
Sharon

·
Registered
22 Posts
We just moved here, and it's really awesome. So many parks, really great farmer's market, children's museum, small enough to not feel too big, big enough that you don't have to drive far away for anything... Lots of really friendly AP moms.. never had anyone blink about the fact that I'm still nursing my 3yo. Also the downtown area has so many great shops and restaurants and it's really walkable w/ a free bus if you need to go a little further... Lots of water with the Sound and lakes and rivers.<br><br>
Prices are going down here too, so if you wait a while I bet it'll be really affordable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts