Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go into the dr's office today (for myself) and when I used the restroom there, I noticed the sign on the wall with instructions on how to catch a clean urine sample. The sign "for men" had the following instructions:
2. Retract foreskin, wipe glans of penis.

Now, bear in mind this is was labeled for men, so the retraction part didn't bother me...but I was really pleased to see that there was no "if uncircumsized, do this" or simply no mention of it at all. I thought it was great that it was just stated as if it were the norm.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That's awesome.
Treat it as normal, and then let people mull it over. It's exactly as it should be. Hopefully that sign will make people think.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A similar sign (but one with normal instructions and circed instructions) was what caused me to first ask my parents the question "What does circumcised mean" (I don't know how old I was, but it was too old)

"It was just skin removed from your penis to help you stay clean. They do it to most boys."

It was horrifying. I am glad I saw that sign though because I don't know how long I would have not known why I had skin problems and asymetry. It was nice to know that this was complications to a surgery and not some freak problem with my anatomy. I was 22 or 23 before I ever saw even a picture of a natural penis, the first I ever saw was soon after that changing diapers.

It is a mystery to me how America can be so frightened by the penis and so obsessed with it in the same heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy

It is a mystery to me how America can be so frightened by the penis and so obsessed with it in the same heartbeat

This bears repeating.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy
It is a mystery to me how America can be so frightened by the penis and so obsessed with it in the same heartbeat.

The same can be said for breasts and breastfeeding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts