Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dd is starting kindergarten and they have a form for the parents to fill out. There's a space for the child's nickname. I'm not sure how much anyone will look at the form. dd has wanted to shorten her name due to not wanting to spell the whole thing. (above average in length but not extreme, though if she shortens it dd doesn't have to write some letters that are giving her problems). Dh and I both use an entirely different pet name for her. Should I put dd's prefered name down? In all honesty, I realize it can't hurt. dd will still have to learn the "hard" letters in her first name to write her last name anyways.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
can you ask her what name she wants you to put down?<br>
i think it is cool they let you put a name down, my first grade teacher refused to call me by my nick name, and my nick name was what my whole family and all friends had called me since birth so i suddenly was forced to go by a name that no one had ever called me

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
They asked me the same question when I enrolled dd in<br>
preschool. But they never called her by her nickname,<br>
always by her full name. Which was slightly weird at first<br>
getting used to, because I had never called dd by her full<br>
name myself. She now prefers to be called by her full<br>
name.<br>
It has been confusing over the Summer though. She<br>
spelled her name by herself. Then over the Summer she<br>
asked me how to spell her nick name. Dd's full name is<br>
Matalyn, nickname is Mattie. Over the Summer she has<br>
started to spell her name on her drawings Matayn, leaving<br>
out the L. I have made her some worksheets with her name<br>
on them to trace and practice before school starts. No big<br>
deal, she loves when I make her traceables.<br>
If your child wishes to be called by their full name or nickname<br>
I would make it known to the teacher, and not rely on the form.<br>
I feel that they are just asking for information, not what to call<br>
your child.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I would definitely put down the nickname that your child is comfortable with. When I taught first grade/kindergarten, children were responsible for reading and writing there birthnames, but I called them what they were comfortable with. Try it...the teacher may be ok with this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ditto to Iansmom. And I would be totally up-front with the teacher about why you are doing it. There's no need to feel like you are trying to be sneaky (if that's a correct read on your OP). All teachers know that "Lee" and "Bob" have it easier than "Esmerelda" in kdg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts