Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie turned 6 months as of Tuesday, August 15th. She celebrated by sleeping from 9pm until 4:30 am!! I celebrated by having energy all day

We also took a trip back to the NICU to say hello. We have done it before - and its expected. We saw many parents doing it while we were there. I saw a lot of people bring the baby back at 6 mos so I did too. Its fun, they announce there is a nicu graduate and all sorts of people come out to say hello.

So as I was walking to the entrance, there was a family in the area with the nicu chaplan Abby. She saw me as I was walking by and said- "here is a nicu graduate MAggie." After visitng with the staff, the family out there wanderd over to see MAggie. It turns out, they just had a 1 lb 5 oz baby girl yesterday who was also 24 weeks.

they had questions for me and as I was saying what a great place this was for their baby, out walks the Dir and Maggie's DR to see her. He gives me a hug and kiss and lifts MAggie up. He says- see they do get bigger to the other couple.

After all of this was over, Abby came over and said you could not have come at a better time- I said was that ok? She said its very good for new parents to see graduates, esp ones that had similar things so they can see an end result.

So I was glad to help another family out etc but how come I cannot stop thinking of them?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just know that you did an amazing thing. i remember researching and surfing the net for success stories like mine. If you want to keep in contact perhaps go back to the hospital and say this is laying heavy on my heart. I met this couple yesterday and I'd like them to know if they need support or someone to talk to they can call me or email me. And give your info. The nurses can then approach them with the info if they want it. And it's not face to face so if they really would not like to they don't feel obligated to. even if they never contact you. Just them knowing that you ar out there may allow them to rest easier.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I would love to be able to do that with Samantha, but our NICU is 90 miles away, and that's just too far to go for a visit at $3 a gallon! I wish it was closer. She has her NICU clinic appt next Wednesday, and I'm going to take some kind of treat for the nurses, since they're all chocoholics!

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by munkeesmama
Just know that you did an amazing thing. i remember researching and surfing the net for success stories like mine. If you want to keep in contact perhaps go back to the hospital and say this is laying heavy on my heart. I met this couple yesterday and I'd like them to know if they need support or someone to talk to they can call me or email me. And give your info. The nurses can then approach them with the info if they want it. And it's not face to face so if they really would not like to they don't feel obligated to. even if they never contact you. Just them knowing that you ar out there may allow them to rest easier.
Actually the entire nicu knows me and who I am- heck yesterday they reconized MAggie right away. Also, one Dr already asked if I would sit on a board for support groups etc. She said another parent approached her about getting a group together and she said this to a couple of families ours incld. So they know how to get in touch with me. But I am going back in a few weeks for my follow up and another baby in the nicu is related to dd1's preschool teacher so I can relay the info thru her. Also a couple of the nurses live in my town and I see them on a weekly basis so I will ask them. they arent supposed to tell but they relay info real well.

I'm glad you thought it was an amazing thing. When I was in there I kept seeing grads so I wanted to do the same thing someday!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Our NICU has a reunion every year at Halloween. We went when ds was 15 months, saw his nurse, etc... Now he is asking questions about where/how he was born and so I told him I'll take him back for the reunion this year (he's 6).

The nurses do say it's great for the parents in the NICU now to see graduates. I remember a big wall of recent graduates that kept me going on some days. However, even though I think it's nice to go back, everyone handles that a little differently. For instance, dh won't ever go back to the NICU. Ever. Once he closed that door behind him with ds, he knew he wouldn't ever go back and I respect that. It's different for everyone.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't really care to go visit our NICU (I was not a fan of the one ds was in), but I do go back to the antepartum unit in the hospital quite frequently. I was there for 10 weeks with ruptured water and no one was really holding out any hope for ds to make it. When I go to the antepartum unit, I almost always end up talking to someone who is there in the same situation I was in and I always try to give them a bit of hope that everything will be ok. When I show ds to them, and show them how much he can do and that once he grew he was fine, I can almost see the relief on their faces and they relax a bit more. Of course, it doesn't always work out in the end, but for the ones that end up w/live babies w/functioning lungs I like to think I helped.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
My sis works at the hospital where DD was born, so I have been back a couple of times when I have needed to pick her up. I have not run into all our favorite nurses yet, mostly because they work nights. I'll tell you, seeing in and down the hall to where Sydney's bed was gave me flashbacks. There was a baby under lights there, bad memories.

Yesterday, I took Sydney to visit the OB. My check up happened while she was in the NICU. I was in the area and stopped by. They were amazed at how big she was. The CNM who assisted on my c/s was shocked at how big she was. It was nice to let them see what thier care and medical skill helped bring to life, alive and healthy. It also made me want another baby, but that is another post.

They have a renunion in Oct. I think we are going.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I was thinking about this. I would love to go to the NICU for a reunion. I think the nurses and docs there would get a kick out of seeing a toddler who was once in the NICU. I think I'm going to call the hospital tomorrow to see if the nurses who were there during my delivery will be at work. I'd like to say "hi" to them as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our NICU reunion is next weekend. We technically just got out but I really excited about going. At first I really did not like the NICU staff compared to the staff at dc's last hospital, but the grew on me and I would love them to see how ds is doing now. Plus I would love to see some of the parents I met during our stay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.