Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dentist the other day and she pointed out one tooth with a hairline fracture and a molar that is starting to get worn down flat. I know that I clench my jaw in my sleep because I usually wake up with a lot of tension around my mouth.

Dentist recommended a custom night guard, but they are super $$$. Does anyone have any experience with using one that they've gotten themselves. Some of the ones I've found online are custom moldable (place in hot water) and range from $20 to about $100.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
i had to wear one of these in high school. i had TMJ because i clenched my jaw while sleeping, and my jaw had become off set and out of line. i went ahead with the one the dentist made. it was a good chunk of money and a couple trips to get it fitted properly, but after wearing it for a while, i didn't have problems anymore. my jaw straightened out and the TMJ went away.

i've since stopped wearing it because i don't see a reason to if the problem is fixed. i think you could definitely try one of the do-it-yourself ones and see if it works. as long as there is a barrier between the top and bottom teeth and the teeth don't fit together when the mouth is closed (ie., you can't clench your jaw), it should work fine.

HTH

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I agree w/djinneyah...I had the same problem and got a guard fitted by my dentist about 4 yrs ago. I think the do-it-yourself may be worth a try if money is an issue. I'd say my problem was totally resolved in about 6 mos but I noticed immediate improvement. It was wonderful.

Whatever you choose, I encourage you to go ahead and do it! You'll feel sooo much better!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a night guard as well...but my problem has never resolved itself (I've had a nightguard for a long time now...since late teens anyways...and I should have had one long before that as I have a lot of damage due to grinding/clenching my teeth at night) My nightguard was made by the dentist (and I grind through it and need to get a new one every couple of years!) I think the ones that you can make yourself would work - just depending on the brand they might not be very comfortable (the ones I've seen look a little thick around the sides) That may be the only issue...I think they would do the trick but it might feel like you have a mouthful of plastic where the customs are a little more form fitting.

HTH

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I've had a nightsplint for years now. I broke the first one, so they made the second one nice and thick. Works even better than the first one. Mine is acrylic, fits on my upper teeth, clamps on snugly, has to be removed by pushing in the right place --the back.

One time when we were visiting my parents, I forgot to pack mine, so we got me one of the drugstore mold it yourself ones. Honestly, it was crap. Molding to your teeth hurts if they're the least bit temperature sensitive, even if you wait a bit after taking it out of the boiling water. It absolutely did NOT clamp snuggly to my teeth, thus it came out during the night, and that was after I'd re-molded it a couple of times, pushing hard to get it to clamp snug. It was soft, so even if it had stayed in, I'd've chewed through it before too long anyway.

I suggest you shop around for dentists who can get these for you. I paid about 1/2 to 2/3 what my dad paid for his. We live in PA; he lives in WV.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidspiration
Thanks, djinneyah. By the way, how long did it take for the jaw clenching to resolve?

sorry i'm just getting back to this. i wore it for about a year, but really i saw improvement within the first two weeks. i still clench my jaw on occasion, i catch myself doing it while i'm falling asleep, but i don't have any pain when i wake up in the morning.

i think if nothing else you could try one of the cheaper options first, see how it works. then, if it's really uncomfortable, you just can't seem to get it to work right for you, and you aren't noticing any change, do like a pp said and shop around for a dentist that will make one for less than your current dentist. in the meantime, you can always try to stash a little money here and there to help pay for it.

HTH, and good luck!

·
Registered
646 Posts
My dentist pushed for me to get a night guard (I'm in my late twenties and have the small stumpy teeth thanks to years of grinding my teeth) but I just couldn't afford one at the time; the dental assistant waited until the dentist left the room and told me to try a sports mouth guard instead (she knew our financial situation). I picked up a good one for about $10, molded it and have used the same type ever since. Sure, they're kinda bulky, but it's not like I care, I'm asleep! Anywho, if it's finances you're looking at, go for the cheap now, and save up for one of the pricey ones as you can.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I had a fitted $300 night guard from a dentist specializing in TMJ and it didn't help at all. I was very disappointed.

I also tried the do-it-yourself one and this gave me a headache. My jaw joint is very wrecked, though with displaced disks from injury.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Kidspiration? What did she recommend for the tooth with the fracture?

That was part of why I ended up with a nightsplint, after getting the cracked tooth crowned. Whatever you do, don't get a permanent type splint until after the problem tooth has been fixed. The crown Will change the shape enough to necessitate a new splint if it's not one of the remoldable ones.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am sorry I didn't read the other posts but I just wanted to put in my 2cents. I have TMJ and clench/grind at night, and also worked in dentistry. I have a nightguard from my dentist and have found it has helped wonders. The first few nights it is kind of weird and you may even take it out in your sleep, but after you get used to it, it feels weird to not wear it. Fortunately for us, my husband's insurance covered half of the cost, but because it reduced my headaches too it would have been worth the full amount.
As far as the drugstore ones go, I would avoid them if possible. If prepared incorrectly, or ill-fitted, they could cause more harm, and also, your dentist can better monitor things if she does it for you. There is a fee for the dentist and a fee for the lab included in the cost, and they can be made to fit either your top or bottom teeth. If something goes wrong with the dentist one, she can hold the lab accountable, but if something goes wrong with the drugstore one, you might need to buy another. Hope that helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.