Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have concerns about night nursing and tooth decay or cavities? What has your pedi/reading/research told you about this?

I nurse my 14 month old DD to sleep and 2-3 times while we are sleeping (we cosleep) and we brush before bed and when she wakes, but is this enough? What is the age at which you should begin to be concerned about night weaning for teeth's sake?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have night nursed 2 of my kids (one is still going at 30 mos). No problems. The milk would need to pool in the baby's mouth for there to be problems. Nursing does not effect the mouth area so much when done correctly as the nipple is so far back in the dc's mouth. Milk should be bypassing the teeth area. Am I being clear? It is hard to explain. Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Yeah, unless the latch is awful the milk goes straight back, away from the teeth. Plus milk has antibacterial properties, and bacteria doesn't feed off lactose anyway. As far as teeth go I'm more concerned about him getting adequate well absorbed minerals (b-milk does that for him but I give oil supplements too).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.