Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until about a month ago, all would be calm when I nursed ds to sleep. He lay in my arms and nursed until he fell asleep and that was it. Now when we lay down on the bed, he kicks and turns on his stomach and crawls on my stomach and twists and pinches all while still nursing. It takes him 30-60 minutes to calm down and finally go to sleep. He doesn't do this at nap time. Then, we just lay down together, he nurses and falls asleep. The problem is that he isn't getting enough sleep at night. (Not to mention that this is annoying and my nipples are usually sore afterwards.) He often isn't asleep until 9 (and always wakes up at 5:30). He is only 13 months, so I think he needs MUCH more sleep than that. He usually takes 2 naps each day, each for an hour.<br><br>
Here is what I've tried. Calming time before we get in bed. Black out shades. Popping him off and just holding him (this leads to intense screaming and flailing). Rocking him. Bouncing him. Singing. Belly rubbing. Going to bed only once he is exhausted (but this defeats him getting a good night sleep).<br><br>
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My DS is just one week older than Eli (5/9/03) and sounds EXACTLY like Eli. He takes 2 naps each day (less than an hour each). Sometimes, if I nurse/rock him right when he gets up, he will nap another 30-45 minutes on me.<br><br>
And getting him down at night has become exhausting. We go upstairs around 7:30 and he's usually not asleep until 8:30-ish. I don't think he needs more sleep though -- because he does not seem tired in the morning.<br><br>
What I do: Lower the darkening shade, put on the white noise and rock him in the chair. He seems like he will fall asleep, but then starts to squirm and whine, and tries to climb away. Then, we play quietly on the floor for a little while and then, with a little coaxing, he usually wants to lay down with me on "our mattress" on the floor. This is where he begins his gymnastics routine -- rolling, climbing, etc -- all while latched on. It's actually pretty impressive that he can do it without letting go of the nipple.<br><br>
Eventually he gets frustrated because he can't get himself to sleep. I have started picking him up at this point, and bouncing/rocking/dancing him in my arms (sometimes pretty hard/fast). This has been working. It's exhausting for me, but it's been working fairly well. It doesn't work if I do this at the beginning of the process, but it tends to work if I wait until HE is frustrated (which is usually much after *I* get frustrated).<br><br>
Don't know if it'll work for you, but may be worth a shot. It's still a long process for me, but it has been getting a little better lately. Andrew also just cut a couple of teeth so hopefully it will improve now.<br><br>
Side note: Like you, getting him to sleep for naps is much easier.<br><br>
Good luck.<br>
You're not alone.<br><br>
-Erynn and Andrew (5/9/03)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts