Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 1/2 month old has started waking up in the middle of the night. (It's 3:30 and we've been up for an hour already.) I try and nurse him and rock him to sleep, but he doesn't go back to sleep. Finally after about 45 minutes of that, I bring him downstairs and he plays. I know the playing is 'rewarding' him for not sleeping, but I don't know what to do.<br><br>
We are both getting over a cold, so could that be it? He's been walking steady for a few weeks now, so that wouldn't be it, would it? He just got a bunch of teeth a few weeks ago and I can't see any that are about to cut through, so what is it????? Why??<br><br>
Can someone please help and give me some advice? Of course it has to be the week that I need sleep, as I'm preparing for his birthday party, which is this weekend. (Could he be reacting to my stress??)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Both my boys did this too. The thing that worked for them was to go to them, rub their back or soothe them without picking them up (mine didn't cry when they woke). This calmed them again and they eventaully went back to sleep. I wouldn't continue to make a big deal of them waking as it may become habit. But if their throwing huge fits at 11 mths, maybe it's a way to get attention then if your has been diverted working on the party?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He'll let me hold him in my arms and nurse, but he just won't nurse back to sleep. He gets that sleep gaze, but as soon as I put him back in bed, he starts wiggling around -- even if I try and nurse him in bed.<br><br>
It could be that I haven't been as attentive the last few days b/c I've been sick and stressed. Maybe I just need to chill out and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts