Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to night wean my DS and move him into his own bed. Do you think this could be done at the same time? I'm thinking of using Dr. Jay Gordon's method of night weaning. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
We're in the middle of the night weaning process (with 19mo dd) and my suggestion would be...night weaning and moving to a new bed are both really big events in a child's life. They are both disruptive, stressful, and require the little one to make some major adjustments (emotionally, psychologically, and physically).

I'd recommend doing only one at a time. If you read the Dr. Gordon night weaning method carefully you'll find that he recommends having the little one stay in the bed they have been used to for the night weaning process if at all possible...and from my own experience I think that's a good idea. Perhaps spend a few months getting your little one used to a new sleeping arrangement while still nursing on demand before night weaning, or go the other way and night wean while sharing a bed for a few more months.

DD is gradually night weaning (DH does all the nightime parenting from 11pm-5am) but we are still co-sleeping and nursing during the day. It's tough, but I think it's better for the little one to go gradually and help them adjust to one change at a time.

You might want to check out the Nighttime Parenting and Family Bed forum to get more ideas about night weaning while still sharing a family bed. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
How old is your little one?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's 20mo. I just wondered if it was advised to do both at the same time because I can't much make up my mind which to do first if I have to choose. I'm due w/ #2 in June so that's why the desire to do both.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I'm due with dc#2 in June as well!
That (and my total loss of supply during the night) is what prompted our adventures into night weaning, though we plan on eventual tandem nursing and will still be co-sleeping. (stop by the June DDC if you haven't already)

I think spreading out the changes is the best bet...June is still pretty far down the road so there's time to take things slowly and help everyone adjust to the different stages of the adventure. You mentioned the Dr. Gordon approach...you might also explore the information on gentle night weaning on the kellymom breastfeeding site (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html) or see if your local library has a copy of the No Cry Sleep Solution for toddlers since that covers both night weaning while co-sleeping and moving a toddler to a new bed.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My DD2 used to start the night in her room and come to bed with me and DH at some point between 12-2am. When I was ready to night wean I sent DH into her room to sleep with her at night. She has a queen bed in her room. The first few nights she woke and asked for me and protested briefly. Since then she's done fine. When she wakes DH just pats or shushes her back to sleep. It was only the first few nights he had to do the hard work, walking her around, etc. to get her back to sleep. Even then it didn't last more than 15-20 minutes.

It went much more smoothly than I thought it would. She transitioned easily. I was having a hard time functioning on the interrupted sleep after 18 months of it. She's a restless sleeper and I can't sleep through her tossing and turning. I had migraines all the time, felt too out of it to drive, etc. This has been a good thing, though she's nursing more during the day!

Now our problem is getting DH back into our room with me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I started out by rolling over when DS requested nursy at night, he slowly but surely got it an woke up less and less freq. After about 2 months i started putting im down in his own bed and nursed him to sleep. This works well. He now wakes up about 11pm and wondering into our room but never asks for nummy nums. Just to sleep there. I'm fine with that for now, but am unsure what to do when DC #3 is born in feb!

Good luck

·
Registered
622 Posts
I ended up doing both (moving to big boy bed and nightweaning) at nearly the same time, because it just came naturally. My son took right to his bed, and asked to nurse less at night. So I just started saying no to night time nursing when he came in bed with us later in the night (usually sometime between 3 and 6 am). There were a few nighttime nursing tantrums, but it really wasnt bad. We just snuggled him instead of nursing, and he got used to that. So I think it can be done at the same time.

melanie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi, i'm due in June too and have just night weened our 21 month old DD2. We used our own variations of Dr. jay Gordons ideas. I did the night weening inour bed, but very soon after she started sleeping through (sort of!), I first moved her into a bed with her sister (actually two twins pushed together), then once she was comfortable there, we slowly seperated the beds. Now they sleep on oposite sides of the room. She still comes into our bed around 5am for a nurse- but i'm fine with that- i just needed a few hours of uninterupted sleep in the middle of the night!! our latest "project" has been to get her to go to sleep without me having to lay with her .....and I can't believe how well that is going!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.