Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
14,435 Posts
We're in the middle of the night weaning process (with 19mo dd) and my suggestion would be...night weaning and moving to a new bed are both really big events in a child's life. They are both disruptive, stressful, and require the little one to make some major adjustments (emotionally, psychologically, and physically).

I'd recommend doing only one at a time. If you read the Dr. Gordon night weaning method carefully you'll find that he recommends having the little one stay in the bed they have been used to for the night weaning process if at all possible...and from my own experience I think that's a good idea. Perhaps spend a few months getting your little one used to a new sleeping arrangement while still nursing on demand before night weaning, or go the other way and night wean while sharing a bed for a few more months.

DD is gradually night weaning (DH does all the nightime parenting from 11pm-5am) but we are still co-sleeping and nursing during the day. It's tough, but I think it's better for the little one to go gradually and help them adjust to one change at a time.

You might want to check out the Nighttime Parenting and Family Bed forum to get more ideas about night weaning while still sharing a family bed. Good luck!

· Premium Member
14,435 Posts
I'm due with dc#2 in June as well!
That (and my total loss of supply during the night) is what prompted our adventures into night weaning, though we plan on eventual tandem nursing and will still be co-sleeping. (stop by the June DDC if you haven't already)

I think spreading out the changes is the best bet...June is still pretty far down the road so there's time to take things slowly and help everyone adjust to the different stages of the adventure. You mentioned the Dr. Gordon approach...you might also explore the information on gentle night weaning on the kellymom breastfeeding site (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html) or see if your local library has a copy of the No Cry Sleep Solution for toddlers since that covers both night weaning while co-sleeping and moving a toddler to a new bed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.