Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!! I have reached my limit and don't know what to do. My son turned 2 in May and still is not sleeping through the night. He was in bed with us until about 2 months ago when we moved him from our family bed to his big boy bed. He is very excited about his bed and doesn't want to be in our bed anymore, but he still wakes up in the night and wants me--only me. He usually sleeps until around 1:30 a.m. and then screams for me. i go in and snuggle him back to sleep and when I wake up a couple of hours later I go back to my bed. He usually calls again in the mornning at around 6:00, but some night it is every couple of hours. The disruption in my sleep is starting to affect me. I feel really tired and cranky, probably because I haven't had a full night's sleep in over 2 years. To make matters worse, my son developed this strange habit when he was about 10 months old. He puts his fingers in my mouth when he is tired for comfort. When I tell him no, he moves his feet down my shorts or holds the strap of my undershirt. I know he is just trying to hold on, for security, but it makes it that much more difficult to fall back asleep. We also snuggle him to sleep every night after books. He doesn't know how to go to sleep on his own. Honestly, I like how we have chosen to put him to sleep and never let him cry it out, but I am exhausted. I just wish we could snuggle him to sleep and have him wake up the next morning. With no fingers in my mouth, no feet down my pants, or anyhting else. Some nights it takes us an hour to get him to fall asleep, other nights it is 10 minutes. I just don't know what to do. I thought we were doing th right thing my having a family bed, but I am starting to get jealous of my freinds that just plop their kids in bed and walk out the door until the next morning. He is so attached. Help!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm not sure if it would work for your son, but when my little brother was really young, he wanted someone at least in the same room with him. We got a really big stuffed California Raisin, which was the same size as him. It worked great (with a little bit of transition period having the Raisin between him and whomever was snoozing close by), but it took a couple of weeks.
Hope it helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder if the transition would go smoother if you tried sleeping with him in his bed, the entire night, until he was sleeping more sound. Although he is excited about his "big boy bed" he may not be ready yet for a complete transition. I always transition ours into their own beds(when they are ready) by sleeping with them in their rooms until their night time routine is more stable, then I venture back to "our" room. They still go through phases where they come back with us at night but that gets less and less as they get older.I know it seems like your dragging out the process but your not getting any sleep the way it is now so why not try it this way. Atleast you won't be getting out of bed several times during the night. I know it's easy to compare the way your friends do things with THEIR kids ( putting them in bed, closing the door, and leaving until morning) but that works for them because their children have learned to accept that type of care.They have probably done that since their children were infants and NO infant just lays there until they fall asleep. They most likely CIO until they learned nobody would come for them. I personally do not feel comfortable with that type of care. These type of situations have a way of working themselves out. Remember no child that grew up in a family bed EVER spent his or her entire life in their parents bed! Be patient, you've stuck it out this far. You will be glad you followed your intuitions. Does he have a blanket or something that you can have him hold on to, in place of you or your clothing? Again a subtle transition but it may be worth trying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts