Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum is mostly about co-sleeping..... but it does say nighttime parenting too, right?

We co-slept with our DD for 7 months and with DS for 6 months. I would have liked to go a little longer, but it didn't seem to work out for our family that way. Occasionally, the kids make it back to our bed on bad nights, and we're both ok with this.

My question is, I sometimes feel resentful that I do all the nighttime parenting. My DH works nights, and so I am the full time on call parent at night. Sometimes I just want to sleep or sleep in, yet I feel guilty for feeling this. Is it just me? How can I get over these feelings?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You didn't give much other info, but I'm assuming your dh sleeps during the day and you're a sahm? Your dh may not realize that your nights are not always peaceful and easy. What are his hours like?
Is it possible for him to do some of the "daytime parenting" so you can get some extra sleep? Or maybe if he gets home early in the am, he can spend a few hours with the kids while you sleep in, and then he can go to bed later on? Of course, that'll probably cut down on family time, but at least you'll be better rested to enjoy it..
Of course, if you're a wohm, that changes things, but dh might still be able to take on early morning or pm duty with the kids..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a sahm, and his schedule is from 6p-4am, but he's actually gone from about 5pm-5am with drive time. If he gets overtime, then he's gone longer. He also doesn't get very restful sleep because the kids do make a lot of noise, so he pretty much sleeps until he has to get up for work. The only time I really see him is on his off days. Those days, he does do a good job of sharing, its just hard in between. He actually stays up during his regular shift hours, so he becomes the night time parent.
His schedule is the reason the family bed doesn't work for us. It was too disruptive for everyone when he would come home at 5am and go to sleep. The kids would wake up and be cranky or wouldn't get enough sleep, so we opted to change and things on that end at least, have worked out better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts