Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I didn't necessarily change diapers at night if it can be avoided.

If the baby was poopy, I changed the diaper as soon as I noticed. If the baby's just wet, we'f nurse and leave the diaper well enough alone. The goal would be to get through the night without any diaper changes, and not have to fully wake up for those nighttime feedings at all.

In the early weeks, the baby often pooped after every feeding, so there wasn't any way to avoid changing the baby's diaper after nursing anyway. So what was the point of changing the diaper first?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
At that age, it depended on the poo for me as well. Only changed her if she was poopy. Depends... are you feeding on one side or both. At first I was feeding on both sides, but once my supply evened out I could feed on one side. When we were feeding on both sides, I changed the dipe in between sides.

Now, at 4 months (started this around 6 or 8 weeks, maybe?) we sidelay nurse. I hardly wake for it, she hardly wakes either.

·
Registered
327 Posts
At 12 weeks, I still get painfully engorged if he doesn't nurse on one side for too long, so we have to get up to change sides anyway.
I change him then feed him, but he doesn't usually fully wake up for the changing anyhow. My child is an excellent sleeper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did the same as you (diaper change, then feed) until my little one stopped pooping so often. If I did feed her first, then I felt bad waking her to change the diaper, but also really don't like her sitting in poo. We are cloth diapering and were just using prefolds with covers at first so even if it was just pee going all night without a change would leak through so I liked to change her at least once. Are you using cloth? This might make a difference in how often you want to change the diaper, depending on what kind you have. Once we discovered pocket diapers and more absorbent materials, and since that she only poos every few days right now, I no longer change her at night.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
At that age, it depended on the poo for me as well. Only changed her if she was poopy. Depends... are you feeding on one side or both. At first I was feeding on both sides, but once my supply evened out I could feed on one side. When we were feeding on both sides, I changed the dipe in between sides.

Now, at 4 months (started this around 6 or 8 weeks, maybe?) we sidelay nurse. I hardly wake for it, she hardly wakes either.
i do the same thing! i changed every diaper at first, now i don't change at all because DS doesn't poop at night. only problem with that is DH sometimes forgets the nighttime diaper, and the prefolds just can't handle that much pee! poor DS was completely soaked from armpit to knee one day last week, and our bed was quite damp
:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.