Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in the middle of moving (currently staying with family while waiting to close on our house on the 29th) and I'm so, so, so ready to nightwean/move dd to her own bed. I'm pregnant, and soon enough, I'm going to grow a bump and with the pillow nest I need to sleep in, there'll be barely enough room for dh in the bed! Not to mention getting up to pee 5x a night! night nursing is just getting too disruptive. She's a big night time comfort nurser too and I absolutely can't stand it! We're going to put a twin mattress on the floor of our room, so she'll still be close.<br><br>
So, would it be better to start nightweaning as soon as we move in, or wait a few weeks? On the one hand, I figure, while we're shaking things up and there's so many changes, may as well toss in another one, so that from night 1, the message sinks in "in THIS house, boobies maintain regular business hours"... or on the other hand, with all the changes, its probably confusing and scary to dd, so maybe it would be easier on her to wait a couple weeks to get settled. wdyt?<br><br>
If it makes any difference, night nursing "boundaries" aren't entirely unfamiliar here. She definitely can fall asleep without nursing. Sometimes daddy takes over bedtime after she's nursed, and sometimes after nursing I can sit across the room and read while she settles down herself. At night, sometimes after I've simply had enough, I pull her off. Sometimes she's okay with it and goes back to sleep, other times she's upset and daddy comforts her back to sleep. This never takes more than a minute or two. So I do think she's ready.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would kindly enlist daddy to take over nighttime duties and go ahead and wean since you need your rest with the new bump. Can you go ahead now and put a twin on the floor (on daddy's side) so when you move it will be standard procedure?<br>
Sounds like she is probably ready to me. Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I waited when we had a big move, but my nursling wasn't at the stage yours is. If I were you, I would either start it now, or wait a couple weeks after th move until you settle. I don't think it's a good think to make two transitions at the same time. This one is where you have follow your gut and what you think though. FWIW, when I got pregnant with dd2, nursing dd1 made me physically uncomfortable, weirdly anxious and almost repelled from nursing. I had to make myself calm down to nurse her. I think it probably had to do with hormones...

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, dh is fully on board with taking over night time duty. I guess, for some reason, I was thinking that while we're staying with family wouldn't be the best time to nightwean just because it almost feels like being on vacation.. except not as relaxing. I guess maybe thats not true? We're staying with mom now, but going to head over to my brother's house for the rest of the time. dd is very comfortable there, and "in her element" (more so than mom's house, by far) so it wouldn't be like an unfamiliar/scary/new place to her. I'd better check with bro&sil first, to make sure a bit of "preventable crying" won't disturb anyone's sleep. sil is pregnant too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts