Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help me with information regarding breastmilk and nil by mouth before an operation? DS will be having surgery at the end of this year, he will be around 12-14mths old. The surgery is to locate and remove his missing testicle and involves going in through his tummy button. When/if they say he cant eat for a certain amount of hours prior, does that include BM? DS is 90% BFed at the moment and at the current rate will probably still be about 75% by that time. I havent been able to talk to the paed about my concerns yet and I wanted to arm myself with some information.
Anyone have experience or knowledge in this area?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
My ds #2 had anasthesia at 18 mos, I nursed him maybe a couple of hrs before, impossible to not nurse at night. Breastmilk is easily and quickly digested, there was no problem, but I also didn't tell the staff.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
the reasoning behind nothing to eat/drink for xx amount of hours before anesthesia is that there is a risk of aspiration of any fluids or food that may come back up during the procedure. If there has been nothing by mouth, the risk of aspiration is minimal.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. But I know that is easier said than done.

Good luck to you!!

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
If you dont nurse for 3 hours before the proceedure the bm will have been digested by then. When they talked about putting my ds under for dental wok the dentist told me 3 hours was fine because bm is considered a liquid. There is no way I would make a 1yo go 8+ hours without nursing.

Yet another good thing about breastmilk is that if it ever is asperated the chances are it wont cause problems because it has antibacteria properties. I saw that on tv. A little girl had sever reflux and the dr's insisted she be breastfed because she asperated a lot of her intake. She never had any issues with trouble in her lungs from the bm she asperated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.