Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15802977/

Quote:
NEW YORK - Nintendo Co.'s entry into the game console wars, the Wii, went on sale Sunday, and quickly sold out in many stores despite stocks that far surpassed those of the rival PlayStation 3, which went on sale two days earlier.

"There were enough people in line to snap up almost all the units of the Nintendo Wii that we had in stock, so it was an instant sellout," said Circuit City spokesman Jim Babb. There were a few overnight campers, but most had lined up in the early morning.

Spot checks at New York stores turned up only one, the Toys R Us in Times Square, with Wiis in stock. The store hosted a midnight launch event that drew a crowd of more than a thousand people for the sale of the very first Wii.
People don't crazy about the Nintendo. The best reason I can figure for this (which jives with data I've seen) is that Nintendo intentionally markets themselves as the secondary game system in the house, or the only system for children. Their price-point is such that major gaming enthusiasts (mostly in their 20s) can buy it and a PS3 or Xbox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,142 Posts
Nintendo games are a lot less violent than Playstation. Or so the kids tell me. So it seems logical to me that their fans would also be less violent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
Nintendo games are a lot less violent than Playstation. Or so the kids tell me. So it seems logical to me that their fans would also be less violent.
Have there been reports of PS3 fans getting violent with each other?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
Have there been reports of PS3 fans getting violent with each other?
Yes. I've seen a couple different big fights on TV. One they called a "riot."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
Yes. I've seen a couple different big fights on TV. One they called a "riot."
OK. I've only seen the horrible stampede to get seats at the Walmart and some guy robbing the people as they waited for their PS3s. Weak.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,346 Posts
My dd has a subscription to Nintendo Power (their magazine) and we have PS systems and Nintendo systems, I've never noticed Nintendo marketing itself as a "secondary" system, and while they do have more kid friendly games they also don't market themselves specifically as a kids system. They do have violent game with the blood ect, and many many of the games coming out over the last few years were available on both systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
My dd has a subscription to Nintendo Power (their magazine) and we have PS systems and Nintendo systems, I've never noticed Nintendo marketing itself as a "secondary" system, and while they do have more kid friendly games they also don't market themselves specifically as a kids system. They do have violent game with the blood ect, and many many of the games coming out over the last few years were available on both systems.
It's all about price-point and what they offer.

Quote:
The Wii costs $250 and includes one game. The two PlayStation 3 models cost $500 and $600, with no included game. The two Xbox 360 models cost $300 and $400, with no game. Online, the prices are steeper: PlayStation 3s were selling for around $2,500 on eBay Saturday, while Wiis (listed by sellers who had pre-ordered from retailers and expected to get the units Sunday) were listed at around $500.
So the Wii comes out at half the price of the PS3. And way less than the good Xbox.

I guess I don't really know how Nintendo views themselves. But I do know how PS3 and Xbox view them. They are a secondary box, not a head-to-head competitor. Something to think about and pay attention to but not something they are currently head-to-head against.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
i like nintendo WAY better and feel there are many more kid friendly games on that system.

but i always buy one system behind. then the games are MUCH cheaper! we just bought the game cube a few months ago. and now that the new system is out, the cost per game will drop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brookely ash View Post
i like nintendo WAY better and feel there are many more kid friendly games on that system.

but i always buy one system behind. then the games are MUCH cheaper! we just bought the game cube a few months ago. and now that the new system is out, the cost per game will drop.
Totally! The only game system I actually own is a Nintendo 64 (which my wife bought me the summer before we got married--in 1997). We are borrowing an Xbox (originally--not 360) from a friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,481 Posts
I like Nintendo systems because I like Nintendo games better than Playstation. (And the controllers are easier to use, imo) And so does my dd. For now. My daughter is nearly 8 and likes the games for the DS, Gameboy and Gamecube. I don't see us buying the Playstation set-up for a few more years.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top