Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mamas! I feel like such a dork asking this beacuse I have an almost 3 yo ds who I am still nursing, and I have nursed just about everywhere a mama could possibly nurse.....

BUT, this morning we went to Target, me, ds1 & ds2 (who isd 6 weeks). Ds2 was in his wrap, all sleeping and cuddly when he awoke crying, pretty out of the blue and I could tell he needed to nurse. Well he wouldnt nurse in the wrap and was getting pretty upset so I took him out and looked for a quick place to go and nurse him. I could not find anywhere to go! I started getting really anxious, I was going to go to the car, but I knew by the time hwe got there and he got to nurse, it would have been a LONG trip for a few secs of nums. Anyhow, I just stopped and nursed him standing there in the little kids department. I dont know, I just freaked out!

What would you have done?? I know this sounds so dumb! I just seriously am looking to see what other nursers would have done it that situation. I felt very helpless! I have rarely felt like that in my almost 3 year nursing career, it tookme by surprise. And I would NOT go to the bathroom

Thanks, mamas!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I would have used a change room. That would be the closest seat I could think of. Or does Target have a furniture dept? I would have used that too. (Always pick a leather sofa if you have to nurse in a furniture dept - if your baby spits up, it cleans up easily
No need to ruin upholstery that's not yours.)

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
The Target near me has a "cafe," and I've nursed dd there. Otherwise, I probably would've sat on the floor against a wall and nursed--but I don't know how to nurse standing up!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
I would have used a change room.
omg, i didn't even think of that, DUH!!!
see, my brain just was not functioning.

Quote:
(Always pick a leather sofa if you have to nurse in a furniture dept - if your baby spits up, it cleans up easily No need to ruin upholstery that's not yours.)
:

too funny! but we are vegetarian so i would look for plastic

Quote:
but I don't know how to nurse standing up!
wow, it is a lifesaver for me, he is still tiny, so it is no big deal to just hold him on one arm and nurse him, I do it all the time
:

phew, i am so glad i asked!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have nurse while walking through Target quite a bit. I sort of lay Sage across the handle of the cart and hold her in the crook of my arm while balanceing her body on the cart and pushing it with my other hand. Sounds more complicated than it really is.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I nurse standing up (and walking around, and pushing a cart
) all the time, so what you did sounds exactly like what I would have done (minus the looking for a place first....)

-Angela

·
Registered
700 Posts
I did the same thing just the other day!
I was at Target and DS wanted to nurse, so I hung out in the baby clothes section. I figured people who were shopping there were more likely to be baby friendly, plus I could sort of walk around the clothing displays to be a bit subtle. They also have a cafe, that might be a good place, too. I agree about the bathroom, though - yuck! I have done that before and it's no fun.

Almost 3 yo and you can hold him with 1 arm? I'm impressed!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Almost 3 yo and you can hold him with 1 arm? I'm impressed!

no mama, i am talking about my 6 week old
nice visual

that would be a feat though!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know what you mean - freaking out, not knowing what to do, in a situation you thought that you'd know what to do. I
had trouble at first, nursing in a wrap, but figured out how to adjust so that I could for those quickies. While it's still snug, if you slide the shoulder part to the side and lift your shirt while supporting the child on that side - gosh, I don't even know if this makes sense. When they have been in there for a while, they are low enough so that I just lift my shirt.

I also have been caught off guard and found that I'd need to nurse in arms without a sling or wrap and continue to walk around. I would just do it.

Sometimes with a heavy child ,35-50 lbs, I'd support his bum on, say the left, knee, cradle his neck in my right elbow and put my right hand on his lower back. Then latch him on while crouching. After he's on put my left arm under his or bum or left side with his knees sort of near my left elbow and grasp my right hand or forearm. Then you can keep on walking. If you have a cart help support his weight by resting his bum on the cart handle. If it is really a short nurse, I'd probably squat and latch him on while he stands. This works really well for actually because if they just want a short nip then all is done but if they want more and are comfortable, they but their leg up on my knee and I know they want to settle in for a longer nurse. You could always sit down cross leg. I have done this and try to find an un popular isle, a large isle, or a corner out of the way - you don't take up more room than a cart and can always move. Then my little one's current favorite position is straddling my waist. One hand under her, latch her on with the other hand and then support her with that other hand after she's latched.
Also, not that it looks all that great but my older one used to steady himself by placing hi supper leg over my shoulder. It worked.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainsun

no mama, i am talking about my 6 week old
nice visual

that would be a feat though!
Oh must have missed you post while posting mine. I thought you were talking about nursing an older baby.

If you are talking about a six week old, I'd just hold him in the crook of my arm and nurse. If I was tired, I'd squat down - anywhere. They fit nicely between your knees and you can use your elbows against the inside of your knees to help stabilize if you are tired and it is comfortable for your back because you can keep it straight.
There is also the cradle position for the wrap. I never had my very little baby in the upright position. When she was older and she'd want to nurse, I'd take her out and place her in the cradle position. There's more info on that in the baby wearing thread. Or you can google the maker.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
If I had to stop and look for a place to nurse every time...wow, I'd get nothing accomplished. You did fine! I nurse walking around stores, too. There are times I want to sit down & so I do. If there's nothing nearby I just stroll to the shoe section, always seats there! Yes & like the PP I have a time or two also rested DD's butt on the cart handle for support if I am stopped & looking at something.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
ive sat down on the floor.
i have huge, pendulous breastsand until the kid is much older and able to help move themselves around and stay latched (like a year plus) the ONLY way i can nurse is football hold, with support under the baby (which in a pinch has been my coat, my purse, a shelf), so I've plopped down on the floor, in walmart, meijer, numerous places, and nursed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I actually was in Target & ds needed toi nurse, so I used their patio furniture dept.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I've used the shoe section, the furniture section, and the changing room (when dd was going through a distractable phase and refusing to nurse if there was anything else she could possibly look at!).

Quote:
omg, i didn't even think of that, DUH!!! see, my brain just was not functioning.
At 6 weeks I'm not surprised your little one's cries took over...I'm totally impressed that you were actually out and about with two little ones, in Target, at 6 weeks pp! Congrats on your newest babe!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I nurse standing up (and walking around, and pushing a cart
) all the time, so what you did sounds exactly like what I would have done (minus the looking for a place first....)

-Angela
Yup, me too! I love going shopping with my little nursling!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Either a changing room or the cafe or pulled up a spot on the floor and sat crossed leg. Crossed leg is the most comfortable for us.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kgrfcharlton
I actually was in Target & ds needed toi nurse, so I used their patio furniture dept.
Yep, I always use the patio furniture
I'm really happy if they have a patio swing on display.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.