Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I rarely go out of the house for the moment and when I do, the kiddo is usually asleep so it makes it easy to run through the grocery store and pick up the essentials. But, I foresee at one point, going out for longer periods of time.

So tell me NIP mommas, how do you do it? Do you look for a spot to sit down and nurse? Do you keep shopping and nurse in a sling (which I still have not figured out, sadly)? Do you look for 'nursing areas'?

The local mall recently redid the food court and put in this bathroom/restroom/sitting room complex that includes a little room with a glider meant for breastfeeding moms, which I thought was kind of nice. Though, I don't see myself going to the mall that often.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I never got the hang of nursing in a sling either (humongo boobies that are in South America) so I just stopped wherever there was a comfortable spot for me to sit in. If you are shy, you can look for some cover to one side or the other and face that direction when latching on/off, but don't worry about what people will see. And, I promise it will get easier, the first time is the hardest!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I feel attitude is everything. Remember, you're feeding your child. When that wee one wants to eat, I just feed. I have been known many a time to hold baby in one arm while pushing shopping cart in the other (toddler is in cart) and nursing baby. If there's a convenient seat, yep, I'm there. I don't do slings or cover blankets or anything. For one thing, it's hard to maneuver all that extra stuff.

I would suggest sitting at home sometime in such a way that you can see what you're doing into a mirror - you may be amazed at how little is actually seen.

Now that my son is 9 months old, well, let's just say there is more skin showing more often than ever - he's a very visual baby and likes to hook up, then unhook, take a nice long look all around, then hook up - and repeat. Not the most shy.

I just do the best I can.

Most people (at least here in America) seem to either give one gentle smiles of understanding or will studiously not make eye contact at/with you so people are not usually trying to see how much nipple they can see. I do try to position myself in such a way if I see a man so that they are not getting a visual of my baby's antics and therefore my breast/nipple.

Really, the first time you NIP I really think is the hardest. It really does get easier.

((hugs)) You're doing a great thing, feeding your baby breastmilk.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The best adivise I have is to do what is comfortable for you.

Like the PP I have never really gotten the hang of nursing in a sling, but I can in a pinch. I find places at the stores I go to that will be comfy for me, mildly quiet for baby and occuping for the big boys. I do not hide. I also look for the furniture dept at stores. Nice comfy chairs!

My favorite place in Walmart is the shoe dept. There are nice places to sit and a mirror to check to make sure my back fat isn't hanging out
. Could care less about a little breast, but not the back fat!

Find places you are really comfortable to start out. LLL meetings, church (if), playgroups. Then you will be more comfortable elsewhere.

You want to remember no matter where you nursing to feel confident about it. Check your states laws, carry a copy if its makes you feel better.

Stand your ground and don't let anyone bully you into a bathroom if you don't want to go there.

Good luck and you'll do great

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
: (the PPs said it all)

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I started at LLL meetings and a alternative family restaurant (very hippy/AP) and went on from there. I've been in a nursing room once.
I just look for a chair, often at the edge of a room. Places to eat are the best imo, cuz then I can snack too
:
I can't nurse in a sling too well, but I can with my Mei Tai if loosen the straps.
Nurse at home as you would in public...no pillow, keep modest etc. Then it won't feel so odd NIP.

Dawn

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just want to add that if you need to nurse at a large grocery store, the pharmacy dept is a great place to nurse. They usually have chairs or benches for people to sit while they wait for their prescriptions.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My ds is so used to nursing in a mei tai that he won't usually nurse if I am sitting down (unless he is asleep). I could never nurse in a ring sling, but in the mei tai it is super easy and very discreet (as long as you nurse out of the bottom of your shirt, LOL) too!

I am one of there: http://kozyfabrics.homestead.com/

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great suggestions! Thanks ladies! Haven't ventured out to the stores yet, but I nursed DD at the urgent care when we took DH in. (Bike accident, rant in Stuffy baby thread) I think I need to practice getting DD latched on when I'm not looking so if I cover her, that I don't have to uncover.

SugarAndSun: I just sent DH an 'I wish for one of these' email with a link to the Kozy.
I'm slowly working toward a larger sling collection.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I nurse in public all the time now, altough I used to be way more self-conscious about it. Now it doesn't even bother me, and I know when people can tell what I'm doing. I really don't even think twice about it. I just shrug it off. Sometimes I do it in sling, sometimes not. just whatever's comfortable for me in any given situation.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nak

well, i did it. dh had a meeting in a hotel lobby, and because he's hurt, i had to drive him, so we kind of made it an outing. after dd had a lil nap, she wanted to nurse, so i found a semi secluded spot and off we went. worked out well and no one even noticed i don't think. dd made happy nursing sounds.

as we were leaving, i thought about how we were there for 2.5 hours and dd only cried a little before she fell asleep. it made me smile to think that she didn't have reason to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts