Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never really thought there would be women who would both nurse in public and, not out of necessity, use formula (in public). Then my "nursing past a year causes psychological damage, but how could my friend even think of weaning at 6 weeks, but giving bottles helps dads bond" SIL had a baby. And she NIPs - YAY!!!!! And gives formula bottles (held in 3mo's mouth while lying in a bucket and SIL isn't looking at her) aka "McDonalds" - her word, and she's a self-described "foodie" who would never be caught dead in a McDs - because she wants to finish eating. Um. Huh?

I'm not saying she's a horrible mom (although I've been known to call her names, but that's because she and I have Issues), but I don't get it. Someone who would NIP and choose to give formula, in the same restaurant, just never occurred to me. Didn't think it would happen. But, it did.

Has anyone else seen this? Or is it just my crazy SIL?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've known people who did that - seemed odd to me. One I did find out later was told she'd have to wean to start some meds she needed but then later was told it was fine to nurse with them and she ditched the formula. It was odd though - she'd NIP one hour and then later, she'd be there with a bottle of formula.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have to give formula and I still prefer to nip. its just easier then lugging around the water and cans and everything. then finding a place to rinse it. eh. annoying.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Where I live, it's common for mamas to nurse at home and then use formula in public. And I can tell it's usually not expressed milk in the bottle. It's just the culture here.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See, that I've heard of before, and understand the reasoning behind it, even if I disagree. This just seems so odd to me, though.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I must admit, I've done it before, but only because I was waiting for my breastpump. Sometimes, it's just easier to give a bottle than to carry him in the store nursing. (Still trying to figure out how to do it in a sling.) But now I'll be packing BM instead of the formula! Yay me!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I was at the playground in the mall with dd the other day and a young mom was with a newborn and 2 older kids. The baby started fussing so she got a bottle out and tried to feed it to him. He would not take the bottle and after a few minutes of him fussing at the bottle she covered up and put him to the breast. It was so strange. I nursed dd a little later near the mom becasue my only thought for her giving a bottle was her embarassment of NIP.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Quote:
The baby started fussing so she got a bottle out and tried to feed it to him. He would not take the bottle and after a few minutes of him fussing at the bottle she covered up and put him to the breast
I've done that before. It took awhile for me to get comfortable with NIP and I would give EBM while we were out. Sometimes he would refuse the bottle and I would have to nurse, which was ackward for me in the beginning.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Well, for whatever reasons she's supplementing with formula, it's great that she's 100% comfortable with NIP. I see this as a huge step in the right direction. It's not only the die-hard lactivists who are NIP.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
Well, for whatever reasons she's supplementing with formula, it's great that she's 100% comfortable with NIP. I see this as a huge step in the right direction. It's not only the die-hard lactivists who are NIP.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm a pretty die-hard lactivist ... now.

A year and a 1/2 ago when I was still nursing my 1st DD I was still very pro BFing .. but not as lactavist as I am now.
It was very common ofr me to NIP, give EBM in a bottle or give a bottle of 1/2 & 1/2 (Bm & formula) all in the same trip.
Especially if I had some allready defrosted BM in the fridge... well I better use it and what better oppurtunity than on a shopping trip? or at the grocery?

the way I am now .... I have given bottles at home but I never ever do in public anymore. I don;t want anyone seeing me give my baby a bottle. I WANT peopel to see me nurse

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlla
It took awhile for me to get comfortable with NIP and I would give EBM while we were out. Sometimes he would refuse the bottle and I would have to nurse, which was ackward for me in the beginning.
I gave EBM a couple of times in the early months while out doing errands, not because I was shy (we'd had to NIP out of necessity from day 6 when the docs insisted we come back for senseless repeated weight checks on my rapidly gaining ds
: ) but because I got the impression somewhere that it was more convenient to:

find some time to pump at home when ds was not on the breast (when was that??)

clean the pump

save the milk in bottles

pack up a travel bag with the EBM & bottles

try to beat ds's hunger signals by warming the milk before he freaked out

convince him to take the weird bottle nipple, worry because he disliked it and didn't drink much

lug the stinky half-full bottle back home & wash it

try to ignore the fact that I was disregarding my breast's signals that it was time to nurse as they soaked through my pads and built up painful engorgement

And finally, end up NIP anyway to relieve the pain of engorgement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts