Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been nursing for 7 months, most of it smooth sailing. But recently I've been having pain in my right nipple. It gets better after she's nursing for a time, and it's not so bad I want to cry, but it's there. She's got no white spots to indicate thrush, so I don't think that's what it is. The appearance of the nipple is normal, so nothing to indicate anything wrong there. It seems to hurt more at night, also. Any ideas?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just wanted to note that you can have thrush without evidence in the baby's mouth, so don't discount it because you don't see white patches.

What exactly does the pain feel like? Is it just a general soreness, is it sharp, does it feel like pins and needles, is it there throughout the entire nursing session or just at the beginning?

Has baby gotten teeth lately? Teeth can change latch.

Does your breast hurt anywhere when you touch it?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pain is sharp, but not pins and needles, and is just around the nipple and areola. It is throughout the entire nursing session, but lessens after a while. There's no tenderness when touching my breast, no lumps, nothing visible.
Teeth... We've been expecting them for months and they haven't come through yet. Perhaps one is finally on it's way...

·
Registered
204 Posts
This page has good information.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...les-older.html

Teething can make babies nurse differently and change their latch. Since we don't hold baby exactly the same on both sides, you can have bad latch on one side more than the other.

Thrush tends to be both sides, but can present itself in just one side, particularly if you have had a scratch or any kind of small opening/break in the skin on or around the nipple on that side.

The beginning of mastitis/plugged ducts is the most likely culprit for one sided pain, but if you don't have any soreness or tenderness to the touch then it is not likely.

More troubleshooting questions--do you pump? Are your bras comfortable? Do you have any skin conditions unrelated to nursing? Has she changed her nursing patterns or positions lately? Do you nurse in a different position at night from during the day? Are you prone to vaginal yeast infections, and have you had one lately? Do your nipples change color (turn white, red) when she comes off the breast? Have you had antibiotics lately?

One thing you can do that won't hurt in any case is after each nursing, express some milk and apply it to your nipple, then let it air dry. This can help with various kinds of soreness, though not with thrush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts