Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the course of my pregnancy my nipple sensitivity has not improved one bit. They are just as sensitive as the day I found out I was pregnant. My breasts are less tender themselves, but my nipples are always sensitive. It's of course 10x worse if they get cold. And DH loves opening his window in the car in the mornings when I pick him up from work. Ouch!!

I had a heck of a painful experience in the beginning breastfeeding my dd. The first 3 weeks were insanely painful, but I was determined to breastfeed her so I grinned and bore it so to speak. It was so painful that I cried sometimes while breastfeeding. Cold temps always made it worse, and my nipples often became cracked and bled. I used lanolin to try to ease some of the pain and help it heal, and also used heat packs. No matter what though, it still lasted 3 weeks before it became more comfortable.

I plan to breastfeed this one too. I unfortunately know it's gonna hurt like heck too. I just want to know how to make it hurt less. I remember chatting with lactation consultants about it last time but everyone just told me to use lanolin and it'd get better eventually. So helpful, right?

I was searching online to see if I could find answers on why my nipples seem to be more sensitive than everyone else's. Apparently there's a condition called nipple vasospasm, also called Raynaud's of the nipple. It's common in women with circulatory problems. This actually makes a heck of a lot of sense to me as I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's in my hands and feet and still sometimes have problems with keeping my hands and feet warm enough in the winter. It makes sense that my nipples could experience something similar.

Anyone else have similar problems? What treatments worked for you?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Lanolin is most helpful if used right from birth, even before the discomfort begins. I did this with my second, and I avoided a lot of the pain I had with my first. Also Jack Newman sells a cream (great resource in general for breastfeeding), and you can find it online.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hopefully you could talk also with a lactation consultant about this- at the hospital maybe once baby is born? I have a really good lactation consultant here and I know she has helped quite a few people with issues like this (she does do online consultations if you dont have access to someone good where you are too). I did not have this issue personally, but from friends who have I know in a few cases improving the latch of the child made a big difference- not that they had a terrible latch from the start or something like that but just that those of us with less nipple pain dont have to get as wonderful a latch as those who have more pain. Another option you could consider would be using a nipple sheild. You mention that cold makes it worse.... I wonder if a warm cloth put on just before beginning to feed might help ease that a bit?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did try a shield once but it made no difference. I even tried pumping when I was sore, thinking that might help, but no. ANY stimulation was excruciating. I hear there's a medication that can be taken for two weeks that is supposed to cure nipple vasospasm. I wonder if I can convince a dr to prescribe it right off?

Reactions: Daisy8s

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did try a shield once but it made no difference. I even tried pumping when I was sore, thinking that might help, but no. ANY stimulation was excruciating. I hear there's a medication that can be taken for two weeks that is supposed to cure nipple vasospasm. I wonder if I can convince a dr to prescribe it right off?
I'd speak up and ask for the medication now. Maybe the script could be put in your chart to be used upon birth. Because you know you aren't going to want to haul in a newborn to see a doc to get a script after the pain has started!

That sounds absolutely horrible. My sympathies!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked my dr about it and she's completely open to my trying the medication after birth. Especially since my blood pressure has been high this pregnancy, the medication would help me get my blood pressure back to normal afterwards.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I asked my dr about it and she's completely open to my trying the medication after birth. Especially since my blood pressure has been high this pregnancy, the medication would help me get my blood pressure back to normal afterwards.
That's great news! So glad to hear you're having good experiences with your new OB. That alone has to be a huge stress reliever that'll help keep your BP down.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm glad that she really listens and takes me seriously. Unfortunately she's on vacation next week, so I'll have to see another dr that week. The week after that she's booked fully, so I have an appointment with someone else, but I told the scheduler to call me if something comes open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts