Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My son is almost 1o months old. I have been having intense nipple pain for about two weeks whether he is nursing or not. When he nurses, it is worse. He is teething, but I do not remember having such pain when my other sons were teething. My left breat and nipple are so painful sometimes. What could be causing such pain? I have tried warm compresses, hot baths, hand expression, breast compression and massage. Thank you for any advice you have.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
First I would check his latch. I find with my 5 month old DS that he likes to slip done if I'm lazy about his latch. Secondly, is it possible that you have thrush (a yeast infection)? Thursh causes very painful nipples.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Sounds like thrush. Go over to kellymom.com to read about advice in curing thrush. If it hurts when he's not nursing, it's not likely to be his latch.

If you have more questions about treating the thrush, do post here some more.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I should have put in the original post, it is not Thrush. Already went that route. It is more of a pinchy type pain. It is strange. I was wondering if it could just be from the teething, i know their saliva Ph can change with that.

Also, I have never had a period while nursing, but if it were coming back, does this cause nipple pain? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I hadn't heard of the saliva pH thing during teething, but I would definitely check his latch. My DD can be brutal when teething, they just kind of end up using your nipple as a teether. A couple of things to try...if you can interest him in a hard cookie or biscuit instead of comfort sucking (not saying deny him the breast, just if you're in a lot of pain and he's fine with that...my ped said that chewing on hard things like that helps to break down the gum tissue and facilitate the tooth coming), be VIGILANT about his latch. It's tough when they get to this age, because you're so comfortable they practically help themselves. Get back to newborn days, make sure he's taking in lots of areola and not just gumming the nipple. Also does he pull on and off when he's distracted? that can tear up your nips. If need be, only nurse him where there's nothing interesting (we spent like almost a month with no NIP, and at home in her room with the shades drawn just so she could get down to business without wondering what the dog was doing, what that fuzzy on the floor was, etc..)

and physically, for you, lansinoh it up big time, go topless as much as possible, and get some sun on those nipples. Try to sit by a sunny window if you don't want to expose yourself to the neighbors!

good luck and I hope it goes away soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.