Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new here--this site was recommended to me at LLL today when no one there had any recommendations for me. I am due in a month with my first baby. When my baby is one month old, I have to return to school part-time. I am planning to introduce the bottle. I know there are other options, but my baby will be in day care when I return full-time and they will not allow breast milk to be administered in any other manner than a bottle. So, I have the pump, I have the Mother's Milk Mate bottles, and now I need nipples. There are so many that say they are appropriate for breast-fed babies, but does anyone have any real-world experience?

Thanks so much,

Marcy

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
My daughter refused everything except a NUK nipple on a Playtex nurser. In hindsight, I figured out this was the nipple that look most like me. Snub nosed and such, I could never look like some of those bullet shaped nipples, I'm not made that way.

You may have to experiment and spend a little money, but I'm sure you will find something your baby will take to.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
My DS doesn't do well with a bottle. He has problems getting the milk out, like he doesn't know how to work it or something. The only nipples he has ANY success with are nuk and playtex naturalatch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im not sure in this area, seeing as how I tried every nipple imaginable and still cannot get Brady to take a bottle. I even bought these special bottles that look like a breast.....needless to say that was 15 bucks a pop down the tube. I know they say to introduce a bottle after bfing is firmly astablished, but I waited about a month or two ...and he never would take one. Maybe it would be better to introduce one sooner.....much luck

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I didn't introduce bottles until my son was 3 months old and it took him a couple tries to get the hang of it but now has no problem with any type of bottle and will take most nipples but seems to do best with the regular platex nipples than the natra latch ones...I think it depends mostly on experimenting and finding the nipple that shaped most like your own and has a flow most like yours.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Another vote for Playtex here. The new (ish?) Naturalatch nipples (newborn/slow flow, even though he was over 6 mos old) were the only ones ds2 would take. Neither of my boys would touch Avent bottles. Ds1 would only take the weird shaped Playtex orthodontic nipple. I'm not sure they even make those anymore. You might have to try a few different kinds before you find one your baby will take. I went back to school part-time when my first ds was 4 weeks old. Will your daycare let you bring him in to test out bottles and nipples the few days before you have to really leave him? He most likely won't take a bottle if you're in the room. They can smell you from pretty far away, ime. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, thanks for all the tips. So my next question is whether anyone has used the NaturaLatch nipple with the Mother's Milkmate bottles? The Playtex FAQ says Playtex nipples are made to fit Playtex bottles, but maybe they just want to sell more bottles . . .

THANKS!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I didn't try many, but with DD I went back to work at 3 months and we used the Avent nipples/bottles. I didn't introduce the bottle until right before but she never had any problems taking it or switching between. The only other one I tried was the medela that came with my pump and they were just way too fast flow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My dd and ds didn't take anything but the Avent slow flow nipples. We've had great success with them and have never had any confusion. I've been pumping at work and nursing at home for 16months now and she still nurses great!

Best,
Suzanne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.