Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else is opting to do the NIPT screen?
I'm anxiously waiting the results. We should hear back from the dr's sometime this week.
This test wasn't around when I was pregnant with my son. I would have been eligible then too because I was 36 when he was born. This time I'm 40.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm curious if anyone else is opting to do the NIPT screen?
I'm anxiously waiting the results. We should hear back from the dr's sometime this week.
This test wasn't around when I was pregnant with my son. I would have been eligible then too because I was 36 when he was born. This time I'm 40.
Haven't heard of this kind of screening...Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't heard of this kind of screening...Let us know how it goes!
They draw blood from me at 10 weeks gestation and can isolate the genetic material of the fetus. They can test for chromosomal abnormalities with 99% accuracy. It is not a conclusive test but the accuracy rates are really good. Insurance will cover (generally speaking) for women over 35 or with family history.

I just found out the the test results are normal!!! I am thrilled!!! i really didn't want an amino or CVS.

Reactions: Vernisa

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Yay on your results! I am fascinated - they draw your blood and can gather the baby's genetics from it? Is this the test for down's syndrome? I'm 36 and looking at a slightly more medicalized birth this time due to age, and the father's desire for the most info and little patience...I have held him at bay so far...but we've talked about genetics and various tests. Curious. (I did make it clear I would not terminate due to results.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
They draw blood from me at 10 weeks gestation and can isolate the genetic material of the fetus. They can test for chromosomal abnormalities with 99% accuracy. It is not a conclusive test but the accuracy rates are really good. Insurance will cover (generally speaking) for women over 35 or with family history.

I just found out the the test results are normal!!! I am thrilled!!! i really didn't want an amino or CVS.
Congratulations on the good test results!!! I have always passed on the more invasive tests, but this sounds like something to consider...Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay on your results! I am fascinated - they draw your blood and can gather the baby's genetics from it? Is this the test for down's syndrome? I'm 36 and looking at a slightly more medicalized birth this time due to age, and the father's desire for the most info and little patience...I have held him at bay so far...but we've talked about genetics and various tests. Curious. (I did make it clear I would not terminate due to results.)
It's fascinating. I'm curious how they can isolate it. The test primarily looks for the 2 trisomy issues and downs....plus you can find out the gender if you want to know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I had the screening test done as well. It wasn't offered to me with my last pregnancy, but I didn't do any testing then because of my age. Since I'm 36 now, I opted for the panorama test. I just got my results today, and I am low risk :) I'm glad you got good results too!

I go tomorrow for my 12 week appt with my OB. I asked for my office to put the gender info in an envelope because my hubby wants to find out first ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts