Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here from NJ and did you go to the Liberty Science center today? Just wondering if I ran into anyone.
We had a good day...and just one huge meltdown at the end. Oh why oh why must there Gift shops????
so anyway...did you like it? did you get sneezed on

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
Is anyone here from NJ and did you go to the Liberty Science center today? Just wondering if I ran into anyone.
We had a good day...and just one huge meltdown at the end. Oh why oh why must there Gift shops????
so anyway...did you like it? did you get sneezed on

We were there today! It was sooooo cool. I was dressed kind of funky, I had bright red hair, a red hair scarf a red shirt, chunky jewelery and a brightly coloured skirt lol.

Oh yeah, gift shops are the undoing of us all haha. I think that the shop was a little pricey, even a little more so than is typical for this sort of shop.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We didn't buy anything...hence the breakdown.

Quote:
I was dressed kind of funky, I had bright red hair, a red hair scarf a red shirt, chunky jewelery and a brightly coloured skirt lol.
I saw you!!!
I was not much to see...gray shirt and jean shorts.
Remember me ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

I saw you!!!
I was not much to see...gray shirt and jean shorts.
Remember me ?

Darn ...No
But tis not your fault, I tend to stick out like a sore thumb with the funkiness lol. I thought it was such a great thing today. My son had such a great time and so many homeschoolers wow. I have never gone to a convention or anything so I also had just such a great time. All the kids were just so wonderful. I was also really happy to see such a large facility have a homeschooling day. That's a very positive thing.

·
Registered
268 Posts

To add....I don't blame you :/ I seriously get annoyed at the prices of some of the things. My son wanted a block set that we saw there , it was $60. When we went home we checked online on the company's website and saw it for $40. I always thought that the Natural History Museum was expensive but they are waaay more reasonable than the prices I saw today. Oh he also wanted one of those stuffed little fish toys in the front. He looked at the price tag and was like "Um wow it's fifteen bucks!!!"...The one reason we are cool with him buying is that when he knows a trip is coming up he is really good about saving his allowance so today he had saved $25 specifically for this trip. Since he is so good about saving I will usually contribute like an extra 5 at least to cover tax etc. I bought him also one of those laminated fact charts for math and I bought myself a package of astronaut ice cream. I love that stuff, I am so weird

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh all the kids we ran into were so polite. Everytime my DS dropped something a kid would would just hand it back to him...they didn't wait to be told or just stare at it. they all held doors for us b/c I had a stroller for DS (By all I certainly don't mean the toddler just the actual school age kids)
I saw moms nursing and not one person stared at me while DD kicked and screamed as I guided her out of the store. Nobody shook thier heads..they jsut went about their own business.
I wished DH was was there so he see that there really are a ton of homeschoolers out there.
I was very impressed with the gathering.
TrueBlue I'm sorry you missed it...maybe check the website and see when they will have another one.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Ooooh, we wanted to go so badly, but I accidentally scheduled a playdate for the afternoon and then couldn't cancel it

Hipumpkins, I'm so glad you had fun!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Oh all the kids we ran into were so polite. Everytime my DS dropped something a kid would would just hand it back to him...they didn't wait to be told or just stare at it. they all held doors for us b/c I had a stroller for DS (By all I certainly don't mean the toddler just the actual school age kids)
I saw moms nursing and not one person stared at me while DD kicked and screamed as I guided her out of the store. Nobody shook thier heads..they jsut went about their own business.
I wished DH was was there so he see that there really are a ton of homeschoolers out there.
I was very impressed with the gathering.
TrueBlue I'm sorry you missed it...maybe check the website and see when they will have another one.

It was my partner's very first homeschooling trip. He has always been supportive of homeschooling but seriously he left that trip a vocal advocate. He wouldn't stop going on about how awesome all the kids were and how nice all of the parent's were. He made glowing statement after statement to anyone who would listen . It was pretty cool and I was glad that he was able to go with my son and I.He works a lot , so like a lot of homeschooling families, on field trips it is usually the mothers doing the smaller field trips with the kids. I was really glad he took the day off to do this with us because usually , like many others it is just me and the little one.

I was so happy with the turn out and being around all those homeschooled kids was so different. I was so impressed with how polite the children were and how respectful of each other they were. Every time a group of children spontaneously worked cooperatively together on a project , or said "Oh it's your turn", I had this mantra in my head that went something like "Homeschooling completely rocks!!!"

I was also really impressed not just by the number of homeschoolers but by the diversity among them, among different styles of schoolers and how you had your hippy looking schoolers and your more conservative looking schoolers but how they are all able to simply hang out together cooperatively. Like you said people being open to NIP as well as people being understanding of meltdowns. As a collective ime yesterday the homeschoolers seemed to act more in accordance with the maxim"Live and let live" than what I am usually accustomed to. It was cool.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by larksongs View Post
We were there today! It was sooooo cool. I was dressed kind of funky, I had bright red hair, a red hair scarf a red shirt, chunky jewelery and a brightly coloured skirt lol.

Oh yeah, gift shops are the undoing of us all haha. I think that the shop was a little pricey, even a little more so than is typical for this sort of shop.
I think I was sitting beside you at the Liquid Nitrogen Program. I'm a very large older mom with a very active five year old son.

My son was helping a little boy with a broken arm. He had a hard time with the seatbelt in one display. My son was so proud of himself that he could help. Usually he's the little kid that needs help with things.

We had a great time all day. Even with my physical limitations, it was fun. My friend didn't have such a good time. She has a foster child that does nothing but cry almost all the time. The baby is blind and just struggles with life. Everyone was giving her dirty looks and telling her to take care of the baby. Why is she crying, is she hungry, maybe you should take her home. She was trying to enjoy the day with her own two daughters, but had a hard time coping with everyone's questions about her foster child.

Kathi

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom View Post
I think I was sitting beside you at the Liquid Nitrogen Program. I'm a very large older mom with a very active five year old son.

My son was helping a little boy with a broken arm. He had a hard time with the seatbelt in one display. My son was so proud of himself that he could help. Usually he's the little kid that needs help with things.

We had a great time all day. Even with my physical limitations, it was fun. My friend didn't have such a good time. She has a foster child that does nothing but cry almost all the time. The baby is blind and just struggles with life. Everyone was giving her dirty looks and telling her to take care of the baby. Why is she crying, is she hungry, maybe you should take her home. She was trying to enjoy the day with her own two daughters, but had a hard time coping with everyone's questions about her foster child.

Kathi
I am glad that you had a good time. Ohhh that balloon pop was unexpectedly loud lol....

: That really stinks about your friend though. She sounds like a wonderful woman, taking in a child with a physical difference and accepting that and loving her even with the struggles that it entails. Grrr. That's shameful about the dirty looks. My goodness, who among us didn't have a baby that cried.How easily some people forget , huh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.