Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom bought <a href="http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.21420/.f" target="_blank">this doll</a> from Nova for my daughter for Christmas. It was the Little Friend Girl doll named Lena (darker skin short hair). A couple of months ago I noticed that she was coming apart at the seams. When I called Nova they told me that b/c my Mom shopped early for Christmas it was outside of the return period (90 days?). They gave me a gift certificate for half her value.<br><br>
I've got enough money saved up now so I was going to order dd another doll, but when I went to order her today she was either out of stock or they aren't carrying her anymore. The doll she has is still coming apart at the seams and I don't think she'll accept anything other than her "Noma."<br><br>
The other suggestion Nova gave me was to contact our local Waldorf school and see if they could help me find someone to repair the doll. I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone and they won't return the messages I leave them.<br><br>
Has anyone ever seen these dolls elsewhere? It really does have to be this doll as I don't think she'd accept any other substitute. Help! :0)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Sorry mama, I did a pretty thorough search for your doll (it's put out by a European company called PEPPA) and it looks as though Lena has been discontinued. She used to be sold on Amazon, but they don't have any in stock any longer.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
this may not be true but i would think a doll could be repaired by someone with decent sewing skills or doll-making knowledge. it may not have to be someone connected to the waldorf community.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
pampered mom, do you have any sewing skills? Could you post pictures of the seams? I've sewn a few Waldorf dolls, and I know others on this board have too, maybe we could give you some pointers on how to repair the doll yourself.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have some sewing skills. I did repair the largest of the holes - it was in the seam under her arm. I probably would have continued repairing the other holes, but when I looked at the repair I got to thinking that perhaps it wasn't the best idea. I had used a regular needle (I was repairing another hole in a different stuffed animal at the time) and I'm wondering if maybe that wasn't the right thing to use - maybe it will cause the knit fabric to run?<br><br>
Since the seam was under her arm I just used some of the Gutermann 100% poly thread and whip stitched over the opening. As for the holes...I'm not sure I can get a decent picture. It's basically the seam on the edge of her body. It's like three of four stitches have somehow come undone in the seam - like perhaps they were stitched too close to the edge or the body was stuffed too much. Some of them are up on what I guess you could say were her shoulders so I don't think the method of repair that I used for under her arm would work.<br><br>
If any of that makes any sense.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Well, personally, I would give it a shot. I would take the doll to your local fabric store and try to color match thread to the skin tone (I use the Gutermann 100% poly personally), get a <a href="http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2802&PRODID=prd49425" target="_blank">ball point hand sewing needle</a>, and attempt to <a href="http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/stitches/ladder.html" target="_blank">ladder stitch</a> the seam holes closed.<br><br>
I believe that a doll hand repaired in love, though "wonky" looking, is far better than having to take the doll away for fear of more tearing.<br><br>
Just remember to use small stitches and take your time.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. The owner at DRD also suggested that we could make a sock to slip over the old doll with a matching fabric. I think I may try repairing the holes as you've suggested and save the sock idea as a last resort. I'll do whatever I can to make sure the beloved "Noma" lasts a very long time for my dd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts