Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our house has no closets to speak of.
:

Only two very small closets in the two back bedrooms and a storage closet in the living room.

I need some storage ideas for toys, photo albums, books, etc.
Any ideas?
:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You sound like us! We have three tiny closets in three tiny bedrooms. No laundry room, pantry, mud room, basement, etc. Our kitchen has ONE drawer

What we've been (slowly) doing is creative shelving. One room has a big square ikea shelf that's divided into square cubbies. The bathroom has all the towels on racks. Underbed storage drawers (which I'd like to see about putting under the couch as well).

We do have a tiny crawl space/attic so seasonal items have been put up there, though it's super hot so I hope we're not ruining anything.

I would also think about benches and ottomans that double as storage and as seating, tables, etc.

~Julia

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
We have a 4 br house, and 2 of the brs have tiny closets. There are 2 additional closets in the hall upstairs. Downstairs are no closets, no bathroom closet, and of course that leaves 2 brs with no closets. We have in the hallway one dresser/shelf unit thingy that holds ds3's clothes in the drawers (3 drawers) and the towels/washcloths on the shelves. Then in the bedrooms there are 2 wardrobe thingies which we purchased at Lowe's for $100 each. They are fairly large and have room for hanging clothes on one side and shelves on the other. THese hold both folding and hanging clothes for myself and kidlets.

Downstairs we have one more of those things right by the front door, which serves as a place for shoes and coats.

We keep our cleaning supples, vacuum, broom, etc., in the hallway upstairs closet, and the other hallway closet is used for ds1's clothes. The only thing I"m really having a problem with right now is my blankets, and I really need to find a home for those. Right now I have about 4 folded up on my couch, and another 2 on the shelves between the washer and dryer.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
We have a huge house with no closets on the main floor. My solution is having DH build shelves & put in cabinets in the laundry room, and adding a big closet in the kitchen in the nook area that is supposed to fit a hutch.

Now its just a matter of him having time, and us having the money to do it with!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rachiem View Post
I just saw this link on Apartment Therapy last night. There seem to be some good ideas-- check out how they store the towels in their bathroom. If I remember correctly, their apartment isn't even 300 sq feet!
Thanks for sharing this link! It has some great ideas!

Can you imagine living in that small of an apartment? Yikes. I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by normajean View Post
We have a huge house with no closets on the main floor. My solution is having DH build shelves & put in cabinets in the laundry room, and adding a big closet in the kitchen in the nook area that is supposed to fit a hutch.

Now its just a matter of him having time, and us having the money to do it with!
Sounds like a great solution!

I know what you mean about the time & money, it's hard to get enough of both!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
We have no storage either. We just got a bench with a spot for baskets underneath that hold hats, mittens, scarves, etc. Then we got some of those stackable cubes for dog leashes, a few books, etc. It is hard having no storage!

I am going to check out that link!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.