Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
]I went for an ultrasound in the 8th week. The ultrasonologist doing the ultrasound did not see anything and even after transvaginal ultrasound did not detect anything. She has asked me to come for a review after 2 weeks. I am having all the symptoms associated with pregnancy nausea vomitting, even the test was positive. I am 36 years old and this is my second pregnancy (I have a 6 year old boy). I had a forcep assisted normal delivery the first time round, however the doctor goofed up a bit and I had bleeding during that pregnancy and had to be administered 2 units of blood.

What do I do in this case? Should I wait or seek a second opinion?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The same thing happened to me the first time I became pregnant. I made another appointment for the next week to be sure that there was not a baby there. At that point they offered me a D&C, but I refused and waited to miscarry on my own. I too had all the symptoms of pregnancy and was devestated to learn that I really was not.

Please go back for a second look. I would not want to wait 2 weeks though. That is a long time to worry yourself to death. You could also ask for a blood test to test your HCG levels to be sure that they are going down. You would need to have two tests done over the period of 2 or 3 days for comparison. This may give you some peace of mind.

IMHO I don't think that your previous experience would have anything to do with this. It is much more common than you probably realize.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm hoping for the best for you. did the tech say anything else, like blighted ovum, or anything like that? I'd call you dr. and have a thourough discussion about the u/s results. you deserve to know immediately. hugs and warm wishes

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is not uncommon for an ultra sound done at 8 weeks to be rather disappointing; This is why routine ultrasounds are usually done at/after the 12 week mark (unless there is a problem that an early ultrasound may detect.)

I think it is most likely your dates are wrong ... and you are not as far pregnant as you thought. I also think it could be the fact you have a 'retroverted' (or tilted) uterous which makes it difficult for a sonographer to detect a fetus abdominally in early pregnancy - in which case a transvaginal ultrasound would probably alieviate your fears.

In any event - if you still have all your pregnancy symptoms then chances are good that you'll see your healthy baby via ultrasound in the coming weeks. It is unlikely that you have miscarried and not noticed; you haven't mentioned any bleeding/cramping concerns.

Worst case scenario would be that you have a 'blighted ovam' (pregnancy without a fetus) but that's a long shot if you were to ask me!!! I think it's probably one of the above mentioned factors and that worrying this early, while understandable, is just going to do more harm than good. Take good care of yourself - and bedrest wouldn't hurt if you felt really apt to give your bub the best chance of suceesfully embedding into the lining of the uterous wall. Other than that - it's really beyond your control.

Hang in there! I had 3 miscarriages after 2.5 year old DS was born (one of them at 13 weeks) and I am now 36 weeks along with our second, due 14/7. I spent too much time an energy worrying about miscarriage during the first trimester that I didn't stop to smell the roses and enjoy that time. The best thing I did was realise that it was out of my hands; All I could do was eat well and look after myself. From that moment of realisation on I have been having a wonderful pregnancy!!!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, twice. All was well, pregnant HPT's, symptoms, the works. Then came the heartbeat at 10 weeks. No heartbeat. U/s didn't show a baby. They said it was a blighted ovum.

I couldn't wait the 2 weeks either.. though I made sure to get another u/s JUST to be SURE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts