Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first four months or so that I was back at work I was able to achieve letdown quickly and easily with an Avent Isis pump. I only work three five hour days a week, so that was working out perfectly. Lately, though, my milk will not letdown with the pump. I drink a lot of water, I think of my son, I try to relax, I do everything that I've heard of and read to get the letdown to happen, but it doesn't. I'm not sure why this is happening all of the sudden. I'm considering renting an electric pump. If anyone has tried both, does the electric pump make for an easier letdown? Any tips on getting the letdown to happen with the Isis? I'm pretty frustrated and don't have much of a freezer stash left to make up for the small amount that I'm able to pump lately. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have the same problem and did buy an electric pump (Medela PIS). Unfortunately, it didn't really help me at all. Luckily, I am only gone for long periods of time once a week or so, so it's not as big of a deal for me.<br><br>
Have you tried Fenugreek? I did find that it increased my supply a lot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the beginning I used the Avent Isis too.. After tons of research I decided to try the Whisper Wear, for me it made a HUGE difference! I got so much more milk and let down happened pretty quickly. I couldn't afford to rent the hospital grade one, after two months the WW would have been paid for, its horrible around here. The WW is computerized so it mimics a baby's sucking pattern. I think that really has a great benefit.<br><br>
Anyway, another thing that I found to help me is to take your finger tips and gently touch your breast from base (collar bone) to nipple while doing all the other things to help with let down like closing your eyes and trying to be very relaxed and almost 'willing' let down to happen. The tickling sensation seemed to help me a lot. It was something my LLL leader suggested I try. A warm wet rag sometimes helps too.<br><br>
I hope that helps you alittle, Im sure you will get tons of great ideas here!!!

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
When ds was in the NICU and later when I was going to school and still nursing/pumping, I had the same problem.<br><br>
Nursing & let down are very psychosomatic (related to mind and body)-and what helped me a GREAT deal was having two pictures of my son-1 was a candid of him BFing, the other was of those little hungry faces. Another huge help was I audiotaped the sound of my son crying (the younger the better, because they have those "Lllaaaah!" hungry cries-and just hearing that (I used head phones and a walkman!) and seeing the picture of him nursing or hungry usually helped a great deal.<br><br>
Also-like what was mentioned-some gentle breast caressing and/or massage can work wonders.<br><br>
Try to pump at around the same time each day and make it rhythmic like a baby's sucking. Really imagine that it is your son nursing. Electric pumps may help with the rhythm, but I found that noise VERY distracting.<br><br>
I've never tried the tea-but I know they sell many varieties in health food stores, usually called something like "Mother's Milk Tea" or something like that. I even saw it in Wauldbaums (a general grocery store) once.<br><br>
Best of Luck-and keep it up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts