Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm so upset!

when I met with her last time, she said she wanted to get the OB's surgical record and my midwife's records from my pregnancy with DS#1 to determine (1) whether or not my uterus was stitched in two layers (2) the extent of my bicornate uterus.

we met with her yesterday, and she said that she discussed it with the other midwives there and they feel that i'm too high risk because (1) DS was early (2) DS was breech (3) DS was small for gestational age (4) I have a bicornate uterus.

i kinda wish she had just told me last week that she didn't feel comfortable with my situation, because it would have saved me the anticipation and hoping for having a midwife. furthermore, the OB's report stated that my uterus was repaired in two layers, which was apparently her big concern last time.

grr....

she referred me to an OB who apparently does a lot of VBACs and works with midwives a lot. The midwife DID say she thinks that i will have a VBAC. i'm kind of annoyed by that, because then why won't she just take me under her care? The midwives last time knew that i had a bicornate uterus (though they didn't know the extent) and that I was a higher risk pregnancy than typical, but they still kept me. It sounds like this practice only keeps the really low risk pregnancies.

i'm sure it will be fine with the OB. she sounds great. i just love the midwife experience and am disappointed that i won't have the support at thome afterwards.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Bummer! The midwife I see only handles low risk but I know of a midwife in town who will do just about any pregnancy. My dh thinks I'm having twins and that would risk me out. Unfortuantly my dh wouldn't be comfortable with having twins at home, so I'd have to go with an OB. I honestly hope I'm not preggo with twins because I really don't want another hospital birth!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
There is probably some kind of policy, or something stopping the midwife from being able to care for you. SO much of medicine is what we call CYA (cover your a**) because of the possibility of legal problems, etc. I'm sorry that you got this news though, how disappointing!

My doctor is really wonderful... I just love her and although having a MW would be really nice in a lot of ways, I don't want to give up my doctor! So you may just wind up having a really positive experience afterall. I did with mine! She uses a lot of midwifery techniques during delivery and maybe yours would be willing to do that also.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i looked her up online and she's on some sort of midwife liaison committee, so that sounds promising. from what my MW said, she sounds good. i'm hoping for the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts