Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo last pregnancy I was on the same prenatal vits and I had terrible morning sickness and was so nauseous. When my regular multi ran out (around 6 wks) I bought the same type again and began using them. My nausea became much worse over the last couple of weeks. I stopped using them about 4 days ago and have been on my kids chewables until I go buy my regular multi again. My nausea that was getting really bad again has lessened dramatically. There must be a link here! Do you think its the extra iron? Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this? I used different prenatal vits my first pregnancy and had no morning sickness then either. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yep, I am having the same problem. A friend told me that she thinks it is the B vitamins. I don't know if that is true because B6 is supposed to help with ms. Anyway, now I am taking mine at night after dinner. I feel much better during the day now. The first couple of evenings I didn't feel so hot, but now it isn't bad. The only bad side is that I am now having unpleasant dreams most nights. I have this happen when I eat late at night sometimes, but with the vitamins the dreams aren't as disturbing, thankfully. But I do miss my nice pregnancy dreams.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i can't take the prenatals - i have had bad MS and when i take the prenatals it is even worse. ick! i have just been taking folic acid and a couple of kids chewables. even the prenatals that are supposed to be easy on the stomach are too much. i must be a delicate flower...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh this is all good to know. I think it is the iron too. My regular multi has a high b vit complex (which may have been helping actually when I discontinued it). Plus these prenatal are supposed to be 3X's a day which is too much. I can do two but never remember three. I have folic acid, I should start taking the extra too.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have been the poster pregnant women hollering "stop taking your prenatals!!" since I tried not taking them for a few days and my nausea practically went away. I still have "moments", but it is just night and day from the scowling horribleness i was feeling before. Phew! I figure I'll try and take them in another couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Zinc will also cause nausea, especially if you aren't deficient in it.

I would have to say that, for a woman who is not feeling ill, it is probably best to just take the things, assuming it is a well-selected vitamin with appropriate amounts of everything.

But if it is making you feel ill? You are probably smart to stop.

I've said before, I just take individual supplements for what I actually need. That way, if something (zinc especially) starts making me ill, I can reduce just that one pill.

--willo

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm just now reintroducing my supplements, and they're not even official prenatals! They were definitely worsening my nausea which caused me to eat less and vomit more - I just couldn't see how that was better than eating more and vomiting less without the vitamins. The vitamins in the health food store (as opposed to the drugstore or pharmacy) often have doseages of 3 or more pills per day, so you can spread them out (I take one with each meal) which can make them easier to digest. Also, if you think the iron may be your problem, Floradix is causing me less nausea than the iron pills I took during my last pregnancy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't take too many supplements in the first trimester. It makes me way too sick. I just do what I can with herbs and good nutrition, of course the good nutrition part is hard when you're pukey...
I do like herbal teas/infusions and fresh veggie juice.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Same problem here. I stopped taking it for about 2 weeks, i was just too sick! But i am starting to take them again now, i have an appt this week and want to be able to say I am currently taking them!!!! I hate them though! I'd much rather chew a flintstone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.