Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was long interested in homeschooling, but for a number of reasons (a new baby being the biggest) we sent ds1 to a private preschool last year. It went well enough -- he made some new friends and enjoyed the experience. However, we decided not to send him back and I feel like I am officially starting my hs-ing career.

I haven't actually discussed this with ds yet. Out of the blue yesterday he said he missed his school, his friends there, and his teachers.

I guess I am just feeling a little bad and uncertain about the whole thing. I worry about him being lonely as he is a very social kid and really enjoys seeing friends on a regular basis. We have taken other kinds of classes at the YMCA and such, and do storytime and all those kinds of things, but I've noticed that it's really not that easy to establish friendships when the kids only see each other once a week for a six-week class -- and now with most of the children his age going back to preschool this fall ... I don't know.

I would love to get a little encouragement and support from those who are doing this, or who have older children and can give me some good advice! I also need some ideas on how to "sell" this to ds when I am feeling ambivalent about it. Many thanks!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Have you found ay homeschool groups near you? A lot of them have weekly parkdays which give the children the opportunity to see the same kids every week and develop friendships. Finding groups is what I'm in the process of doing, myself. I googled homeschool and my county to find some yahoo groups online that meet IRL. I live near a city, so there are a number of groups available if I'm willing to drive 45 minutes. Only one group is accessible by public transportation which is what I'll need to do since my dh's job is moving so he will need the car.

Ds says I gotta go to bed now so have to cut my ramble short

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey there mama -
Well, I'm not in your boat exactly, but I probably will be soon so I just wanted to offer some support. My twin sons were in a Waldorf preschool last year and will be so again this year as I contemplate our choices for next year. I am strongly considering hsing and am wondering how this might make it harder for my boys, one of whom is very social. They've been asking me on and off about school all summer. To make matters worse, we live spitting distance from an elementary school that all the neighborhood kids go to. I think the PP was right - that you should quickly get in with a hsing group so that you can build a support network.. I'm sure it will all work out well for you!

Sue

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You could do playdates and all but really treasure this time at home with your child. It will go by in a flash and you'll be glad ds was home playing with you and his sibling.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Finding a nice homeschool group would be good for you and your son!

In your post you didn't say anything about why you want to homeschool. I think one of the keys to selling it to your son is clarifying your vision and then framing it in a way he can understand.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good ideas, thanks! I did spend some time looking for local support groups and was pleased to find a mailing list for homeschoolers in my county that I was not aware of.

With regard to my reasons for homeschooling, I fear that ds would be bored and frustrated with school, as I was (although I didn't get bored until junior high or so) ... I also don't want him picking up bad habits and attitudes from the other kids who are, IMO, not as carefully raised (we don't do a lot of TV, no violent TV or games, we try to read a lot, eat right, get a lot of exercise etc.). Any ideas of how to turn these negatives into positives when explaining to ds are most welcome!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
You could do playdates and all but really treasure this time at home with your child. It will go by in a flash and you'll be glad ds was home playing with you and his sibling.
This was such a lovely thought, and I have considered it often ... thanks!

Thank you for your ideas ... just wanted to report back that, again out of the blue, ds reported that he did NOT want to go back to school. Now that back-to-school is looming I am really happy he's not going back as he'd be gone three mornings a week which seems like way too much for me.

We also got in with a group of preschool-age unschoolers who are very nice.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I pulled my DD out of preschool when, after a rather long Xmas break, she suddenly had serious issues with going back (more accurately, with me not being there). We tried for two weeks, which probably just made it worse, but at least she became quite adamant that she never wanted to go to school again.

The social issue is not really one for us because we spend all our time with the local MDC mamas in my city, most of whom are homeschoolers as well. So most of the kids DD knows are not in school. We do lots of things together, and I have to say that it is probably the biggest reason I felt able to take the plunge and commit to homeschooling.

Now that you say you have found a group, I think you'll find it smooth sailing. Also, keep in mind that, at his age, he doesn't have a clear concept of what "school" really is, as mostly it was a place for him to play with other kids. And you are right about picking up on bad habits, etc - I was shocked at the social issues cropping up even among the 4 and 5 year olds in DD's preschool class.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts