Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a lot of women are feeling movement...many who are several weeks behind me. But, I am not feeling anything. Starting to feel a little nervous about that. Anyone else feeling nothing? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I haven't felt anything and I'm almost 15 weeks. I was kinda worried about it, but I've read a lot about how it's harder to recognize with first pregnancies...and this is baby #1 for me. I'm anxiously awaiting the flutters though! Try not to fret too much, there are so many other warning signs if something is wrong and if you haven't experienced any of them, chances are everything is fine.

:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I wouldn't worry. I didn't feel my first until after the 18-week mark. Your baby is soooo tiny right now its movements are pretty faint, and you may not know them yet when you do feel them.

Almost 15 weeks here and I haven't felt anything either, even though I know what I'm looking for this time around.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am around 16 weeks. I haven't felt anything either. With my 2nd baby, I was 19 or 20 weeks before I felt movement. I can't remember when I felt movement with my first but I was worried with my 2nd because it seemed to be so late.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wouldn't worry yet, especially since this is your first. I bet when you DO feel those flutters, you'll be surprised that you can recall feeling "something" for a while but just didn't recognize it! That's how I was with DS. I wasn't sure I felt movement until I was actually at the 20 week ultrasound (at 18 1/2 weeks then) and saw him kicking and squirming...then I realized what I'd been feeling all along was him.

I'm 16 weeks and I'm noticing movement now, but it is faint and hard to recognize yet. It's kind of like I'll realize I've felt something, and then again, I'm not 100% sure I did because it's so quiet and faint and gentle.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I will be 14 weeks on Friday and I think I just felt my first movement...although I thought before that I might have felt something. My understanding is that this is fairly early to be feeling movement and I wouldn't worry if I didn't feel any more for a while.

·
Registered
409 Posts
it's perfectly normal. i didn't feel my first baby until 18 weeks. many of my girlfriends didn't feel their first babies until 20 weeks. i felt my second baby at 16 weeks. i felt this baby very early, but definately at 12 weeks. i am 14 weeks now and still the movements are subtle rolls in my belly. baby isn't big enough yet for the strong kicks and punches of late pregnancy.

i know it is easy to say, but don't worry.

·
Registered
754 Posts
To tell you the truth I think a lot of people are hopefull that they feel movement..but realize we are talking about a baby the smaller than a wallnut. I am on my 4th pregnancy. I felt 1st-20 weeks, second-15 weeks,3rd 19 weeks and nothing yet at 14 weeks. Don't worry. It usually takes longer to feel your first anyways.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you ladies. This does make me feel much calmer about it. The weekly pregnancy thing tells me that by the end of this (16th) week that the baby will be the size of a baked potato. I was thinking...Jeez, I should notice a baked potato! (I'm not really showing at all). Maybe they're envisioning a much smaller baked potato than my appetite was imagining!
Ha!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
I'm 16 weeks and I'm noticing movement now, but it is faint and hard to recognize yet. It's kind of like I'll realize I've felt something, and then again, I'm not 100% sure I did because it's so quiet and faint and gentle.
This is me. This is my second. I'll feel something occasionally and think maybe it was the baby and then forget and get worried I haven't felt anything...
it is absolutely not something definite. I do think some portion of my feelings have been the baby, but I also think some portion have been other unspecified things and I have not been able to distinguish. Don't worry!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most people don't feel movement until the 20th week or so. Especially with the first. Hard not to worry, I know.... First movements are so tiny.... But as I'm sure you've heard.... no call to your Dr is a stupid call.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I haven't felt anything that was unmistakably baby movement. After dinner when I am putting the girls to bed and all is quiet I think I feel something but it could also just be my dinner making it's way through me.

I also notice that you are a first time mom. I think that, in general, women feel the first movement later with their first pregnancy.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I saw the little one flipping around on the ultrasound today (13 weeks) and I didn't feel a thing. And it's 6.5 cm from crown to rump, so that's not teeny! I'm sure not feeling anything yet isn't anything to worry about.

I like your baked potato example, and of course, now I want a baked potato with lots of butter. Ha! Everything is about food!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
No, don't sweat it. It's your first baby.

I'm 16w3d and feel my babe move everyday but this is my fifth. No way did I feel anything this early the first time around.

Soon!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
Thank you ladies. This does make me feel much calmer about it. The weekly pregnancy thing tells me that by the end of this (16th) week that the baby will be the size of a baked potato. I was thinking...Jeez, I should notice a baked potato! (I'm not really showing at all). Maybe they're envisioning a much smaller baked potato than my appetite was imagining!
Ha!
Jeez Louise!

They've gotta be talking about a russett potato or something...that's just insane! I'm almost 15 weeks and not showing at all, there's no way it can be as big as a potato!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
it also can depend on your placenta if it's anterior or posterior (if it's posterior you may feel the baby sooner). i was at 16.5wks with my first when i felt him

14.5wks now and am not sure if it's lower abdo gas bubbles or bub!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Well I know after yesterday that my placenta is in the back and so that's why I felt this baby (and also DD) early. I don't buy the theory of the skinnier you are the faster you'll feel it because, ahem I am not that skinny of a woman. I really think it depends on the placement of the placenta, the amount the baby is moving and possibly the mother's own sense of feeling. I have felt this LO since 12 weeks(and possibly sooner, but I'm not sure). Yesterday at my u/s that baby was going crazy and I felt about literally 1/4 of the movement. I mean the baby was shaking it's hands, kicking and just generally having a good ol time in there.

Don't worry lots of women don't feel movement early, I think it really depends on your body and your baby.

·
Registered
473 Posts
With each baby I've felt the first movement a week earlier than the last.

1st baby: 19 weeks
2nd baby: 18 weeks
3rd baby: 17 weeks
4th baby: 16 weeks

I'm 14 1/2 weeks now and am "tuning in", but not anxious at all. Funny if I felt it right at 15 week!

I also had a US a couple weeks ago and saw our little bean jumping around like crazy, but didn't feel anything!

Also, I remember a couple times in the last few years when I wasn't pregnant but felt a flutter that was so similar to early baby movements! I could have sworn I was pregnant! It made me realize how this early it can be tough to tell what's really the baby moving. I like to wait to say I felt the baby until I'm SURE it really was the baby and not the remnants of my dinner digesting.
:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
This is me right now. I'm still not sure what I've felt is baby or not. And it's so infrequent. I'm glad I saw this thread and that there are a few of you who felt 2nd or more babies later than your first. I felt Dd exactly at 16 weeks, and it was very obvious that it was her. They were little tiny kicks. Dh felt them the next day. She was a very active baby though (and still is), so maybe I'm getting a calm one this time?
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
Ha!
Oh now you got me wanting a baked potato!! I'm going to the store first thing tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_honeyb View Post
Also, I remember a couple times in the last few years when I wasn't pregnant but felt a flutter that was so similar to early baby movements! I could have sworn I was pregnant!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I felt this a lot in the month after Dd was born. I would feel something and think "oh that's the baby moving" and then realize, duh she's out now!
Had to be something else, but it sure felt like a baby.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.