Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,340 Posts
I have a HUGE mane of hair. I use a tiny bit of coconut oil with a drop of essential oil in it and rub it on my palms, and gently through the frizzy parts of my hair. It is a really light oil and doesnt seem to leave a greasy residue on my hair. I dont put it near the scalp though. It seems really similar to natural hair oil.

· Registered
4,206 Posts
I second the coconut oil. Jojoba oil is also supposed to be very similar to sebum (natural scalp oil). Actually, the night before wash day, I've been oiling my hair from the ears down fairly generously with a mixture of coconut & jojoba oils and my hair really likes that. (I've been using a sample of really yummy virgin coconut oil I ordered from www.coconutoil-online.com -- it was $1.50, and if I only use it for my hair it should last for months!)

Anyway, for everyday, I use the tiniest speck of coconut oil (just enough to make my palms very slightly glossy) and smooth that on my last 3" of hair first, then smooth again from the ears down. I do it every couple days.

By changing how much baking soda you use, do you mean you've changed the consistency of the mixture? I had terrible dryness when I used a creamy mixture, but I'm really happy now with a watery one. I don't leave it on, either, I just make sure it's worked in and then rinse right away.

have you tried adding honey? or an egg yolk or some plain unsweetened yogurt? I don't remember if you use anything besides bs and water.

Have you experimented with using a larger amount of vinegar?

Also, does your hair usually get frizzier this time of year? With people in most areas starting to turn on their inside heat, the air's dryer & hair tends not to like that.

Good luck!

· Registered
5,156 Posts
I've never used baking soda, only vinegar (see recipes thread), and I only have frizz problems now under the most extreme conditions. Also, I am LESS likely to frizz within a day or two after washing than later, esp. if I later get my hair wet without washing. The vinegar seems to take the oil off the scalp and run some of it out completely (slippery shower floor!) and send the rest to coat the hair shaft.
When I was shampooing, I had to use a heavy leave-in conditioner to control frizz.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.