Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the sticky thread, someone posted that they make no-poo balls with BS, water, honey, & EOs that they can make ahead of time & just wet to use. Does anyone have the ratios for this recipe? That sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Bippity-boppity-boo... I never came up with a recipe. Just eyed it til it looked right. Maybe take
1/2 C. water
4-5 drops EO
tsp. Honey
enough baking soda to make a paste.
Roll into balls and let dry over night.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
So then, what do you do with them? Do they melt onto the hair when they get wet? Doesn't the honey make the hair sticky?? Please explain more!

This might actually convince me to go no-poo.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Oddly, the honey actually does clean to a degree and mostly moisturizes and keeps moisture in your hair - it's a great conditioner, and is antibacterial at that. It smells heavenly too.

It doesn't get sticky when you add warm water and have other ingredients in the mixture. That's why honey doesn't stay sticky with hot water (like tea) or in baking.

If your hair feels overconditioned, use less honey or just leave it out. But it does make your hair look really shiny and healthy.

Try making a honey mask for your face too, it's nice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
(i'm new to this forum, but already in love with bs!)

i tried making bs balls too! mine dried with some extra large particles. whatdaya think about that? it's not so bad on my shoulders neck, but my hair i'm thinking not so friendly!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It's not a problem if you have baking soda chunks, you're not going to be slapping the baking soda ball on your head anyway. You need to put it in your hand and make a runny paste of it first and then apply to hair. It cleans better if it's runny.

·
Registered
190 Posts
these are crystals - that do not dissolve! i made a batch of only 6 so i'll try again.

so far i'm really happy with my baking soda and apple cider vinegar routine. i have some questions. that my be another thread!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
how big do you make the balls??

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The benchmark is about 1 tablespoon for shoulderlength hair, more if longer, 1tablespoon or less if shorter. So make the no-poo balls big enough to accommodate at least tablespoon's worth ( I would say 1.5 inch diameter balls would be good, huh?). If that is too little, you can always use another no-poo ball. I would think that making them too big wouldn't dry properly and it would crumble if you stored it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.