Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been no-poo for 3 weeks now. I had a little bit of a detox period (about 1.5 - 2 weeks) and then one day WHAM great looking super soft hair! It was driver's license renewal day too! I was so excited! I washed again 3 days later using the same 4Tbs BS to 4 c water and 2 Tbs lemon juice to 4 c water and got nothin'...just blah hair.

My hair is almost waist length. The hair on my head is kind of oily but the length is dry dry dry.

I have only been scrubbing the BS mixture on my head (really concentrating on my scalp and then I use the lemon juice mix. I rinse well with warm water and rinse well with cold as the final rinse, then let it air dry.

Now, when I no-poo, my hair feels like mini dreads and when it dries it looks gross (super oily) on top and feels yucky on the length. I started with ACV instead of lemon juice, but it made things even worse

What am I doing wrong? Better yet, in my current efforts to be positive, what can I do differently to make it better?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you, Kyriana, but I'm glad you started this thread because I'm having the same problem. It sounds like we're in the same boat ... I've been no-pooing for about three weeks and my hair is either a super grease ball or super dry. I've chalked it up to trial and error, seeing what works best for my hair, but I'm starting to feel frustrated! I want to continue but I'm finding it difficult and want to give up. My hair is straight and very fine, a little longer than shoulder length. Is it okay to no-poo every day because I want to with the greasiness on top of my head! I've been using ACV on the ends and rinsing it out before getting out of the shower. I've heard that once you get in the swing of no-pooing you only have to no-poo once or twice a week?

I hope we can get some answers from some pro no-pooers out there!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Make sure that the ACV or lemon mixture is only applied on the hair from ears down, not anywhere above that. The amounts will change as you progress down the no poo routine (it even changes during the seasons and amount of humidity).

I've had more luck mixing the baking soda with conditioner so it cleans better, but still leaves hair soft.

Adding a drop of coconut oil in your hands, rubbing them together and then smoothing it at the ends of your hair works well too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I gave up after 4 months because of the exact same issues. I have straight, blond, fine, thin hair and it looked terrible. I felt like I need to no poo everyday to control the grease and I started to notice a funky greasy buildup on my brush and comb! Now I use a shampoo bar. I love it! No more greasy head and it does not strip my hair so I do not have to use conditioner either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Concentrate the lemon juice from ears down? I thought lemon juice was supposed to help with oily hair issues...

At this point, what do I have to lose, right?

I did drag dh to a local health/organic store yesterday and bought some conditioner.
  • Do I mix the same amt of BS and use conditioner instead of water?
  • Do I still do the lemon juice rinse?
I have read a lot of the other no-poo threads on MDC but they all seem to pertain to short/curly hair. My hair is in between thick and thin for now.

When I first started no-poo I was amazed at the amount of hair that quit falling out in the shower. Now, it's just like when I was using shampoo.
: Am I maybe using too much BS?

I love the idea of no-poo and I haven't quite decided to give up yet, although, there are days when I would kill for a bottle of shampoo.

I love being able to "Just say NO" to shampoo. I also enjoy not being in this situation: "OMG we're outta shampoo...the only thing open is WalMart?
I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to wash my hair.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
4 tablespoons of BS seems like a whoooole lot to me. Also the conditioner has to be specific - no silicones and lightweight (you don't want a grease bomb on your head). The V05 and Suave Naturals line are really lightweight and don't have silicones. I have thin curly hair and the no poo threads, even though it's geared toward curly hair, are links to understand no poo, get the process right, and get troubleshooting advice, regardless of hair type. I think most people jump into no poo, just dump some ingredients on their heads and they're not sure what went wrong.

The amounts varies from person to person. You can use equal amounts of conditioner to baking soda, or use less conditioner, or use less baking soda. You have to play with it. Also, to keep your thin hair from breaking, it's best to dilute this mixture in some warm water (a narrow nozzled bottle is good, or you can try those great plastic applicators for $3 for root hair color application - I want one too). This way, the runny liquid doesn't just run down the drain, but sticks on your scalp long enough for you to clean your hair and scalp.

I still 'condition' my ends with either the same conditioner, a more moisturizing conditioner (these methods typically are better for me during the winter and fall), or use the diluted ACV spritz on the ends of my hair (works well in summer).

Lanky, brittle, staticky hair means you're using too much baking soda and not enough moisturizing ingredients. With thin/already limp hair, I had a better time diluting the baking soda with some conditioner so that my scalp cleaned better and I didn't get my scalp oils weighing my hair down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah, 4T of BS sounds a bit too much even for long hair. If your ends are dry, try not to get BS on it.

I have super thick straight hair, just past my shoulders. I shake out about a tablespoon or less of BS into my palm, dip my wet fingers in it, and apply it to my wet scalp and massage. By not diluting the BS, I'm getting it on my scalp only.

When I was going through the greasies phase, I would leave the BS in my hair while I washed my body. This made a lot of difference. I could go 4 days without washing again.

I then rinse really good, then apply my diluted lemon juice, about 1T to a cup of water. So you could try adding a bit more lemon juice to your mixture. I flip my hair over by bending over and rinsing from the bottom up, using 1/2 of the mixture. I then stand back up and rinse from the top.

I would still apply the lemon juice rinse to your scalp since BS is alkaline, and your scalp's pH is slightly acidic.

ETA: I also apply a few drops of olive oil, jojoba oil, or even hand moisturizer to my ends, whatever I have on hand closest to me.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
I gave up after 4 months because of the exact same issues. I have straight, blond, fine, thin hair and it looked terrible. I felt like I need to no poo everyday to control the grease and I started to notice a funky greasy buildup on my brush and comb! Now I use a shampoo bar. I love it! No more greasy head and it does not strip my hair so I do not have to use conditioner either.
I'm not giving up no-poo yet, but curious ... what shampoo bar are you using?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I mixed 3 Tbs BS with just enough conditioner to cover my head, rinsed w/warm water, put plain ole conditioner on the length, rinsed w/warm water, followed w/normal lemon juice & water mixture, rinsed w/warm water and followed up with a cold rinse.

While my hair was wet, it felt funky, but, I gotta tell ya after it dried, it looks great and is almost super soft!

Thanks again for all the tips mamas although I am hoping to go back to just BS and water eventually...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I haven't gone back to baking soda and water alone - my hair will get staticky and limp and it doesn't clean as well as it does with some conditioner in it. If you're worried about the type of conditioner, you can try a more natural conditioner that doesn't moisturize much. I just use Suave because it's cheap and has less junky stuff. For the bottom of my hair, esp in the winter, I may use Mane and Tail conditioner!

Other fun things to add to the baking soda and conditioner is brown sugar (sparingly).

If you start having problems again, reduce your baking soda amount. You'll find as you go down the no poo road, you'll use less and most people can do about 1 tablespoon. Baking soda works best when it's dissolved in water and not gritty (even when dissolved in some conditioner, it stays slightly gritty). I get a cleaner scalp ( and less hair breakage) if I dilute all the ingredients in a bottle and then pour/squirt that into my scalp. I then use the finger/scalp scrub method and let the mixture sit there as I complete the rest of my shower. I rinse with water thoroughly. Since it's summer, I can just do an ACV spray at the ends, but if conditioner is ever needed, I'll put that. ACV or lemon juice combined with conditioner works great on ends as a super acidifying conditioner (super soft ends).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by milky_mama View Post
I'm not giving up no-poo yet, but curious ... what shampoo bar are you using?
One I found at my health food store (J.R. Liggetts), but I seem to remember a thread about shampoo bars with a link to some yummy ones with honey and other cool stuff. I will have to look for it. BTW, people say my hair has never looked better now!

http://www.jrliggett.com/

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Shampoo bars and natural soap are pretty much the same thing - you just need an acid rinse to get rid of the soap residue (waxy layer). My hair is so thin, I can't use soap bars too much, it weighs my hair down with the soap residue (or I have to use a lot of ACV and that's a crapshoot if it looks good or not after I get out of the shower). It's a work in progress though, I made soap last year and I'll eventually get the right tool to cut it and I can use it as body soap and shampoo. One day...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use 1tbls to 1 cup of water and just concentrate on my scalp. I notice if I use to much baking soda then my hair gets crunchy. I have thin stick straight hair and no poo has done wonders for me. I also use AVC rinse but I make sure not to get it on my scalp or my hair gets to oily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.