Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using just baking soda and a rosemary (or rarely cider vinegar) rinse for my hair for about a month now. I've noticed on my brushes and comb there is something that looks like a waxy buildup coming from my hair. And near my scalp it looks greasy but doesn't feel that way, so I'm thinking it's the same thing.<br>
I'm still getting the hang of this, but right now I generally using baking soda about 2 times a week, sometimes I just use water and about every 3rd day I don't wash it at all. The rest of my hair feels great, if I can get rid of this strange buildup it'll be perfect!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had the same build-up on my comb since I started no pooing almost 2 years ago. I think it is excess BS combined with the natural oils in my hair that comes out of my wet hair and cakes on the comb. I use a comb instead of a brush and it is a pain to clean out, but I will take it since I get clean hair!<br><br>
As for the "greasiness", it sounds like your scalp may be overproducing oils. That is typical if you didn't ease into the no-pooing. I found that, at the beginning, I had to use the BS/ACV every other day, with rinsing in between to combat that. Once my scalp adjusted, I was able to reduce how often I "wash". I now only use BS/ACV one to two times a week, unless I am sweating or dirty.<br><br>
Is there a reason you don't use a vinegar/lemon juice/ACV rinse? I wonder if one of those (or chamomile tea) would help, too? Perhaps experiment a bit.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've started using the acv wrinse and it's helped a little bit. The big thing I found was that we have hard water and I started to make my last wrinse with rainwater we catch in our barrels outside and it's helped reduce the greasiness and amount of buildup. I also started using wooden and horn combs which really helps work the natural oils throughout my hair and it feels so much better!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts