Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about it here:
http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-yo...thout-shampoo/

Who's tried it? Did you love it or leave it? Was your hair greasy at first, and for how long?

I had no apple cider vinager so I used lemon juice. My hair is kinda greasy, how it usualy is on my "off" day between showers. But it's super soft and was easy to brush. So far a like it.

I can deal with the greasies since I'm a SAHM... I don't see people much...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ah, welcome to the other side!
You've come to the right place--questions and concerns about no-pooing are posted often here.

I've been doing it since June. I didn't read the article--just skimmed it to make sure it talked about baking soda (bs) since there are other ways to no-poo (conditioner only--CO, water only--WO, and borax used in the place of bs). I don't let my hair get too terribly gross. I won't go anywhere with greasy hair, but if i'm staying home, i may let it get greasy, just to let my scalp adjust to not getting stripped every day. I still have to no-poo twice a week. If i let it go longer more often, i'm sure i could go longer between no-poo's.

I love it and do it b/c my hair looks awesome. When i use shampoo (or Dr. Bronner's, of which i'm an obsessed fan), my hair is dry-looking and frizzy. With no-pooing, it's rich and shiny--and CLEAN!

The only issue i've had is that you must have soft water. We have a water softener, and sometimes run out of softener salts without knowing. When my hair feels waxy and gross, then i know we need to refill the softener.

Good luck! Many people love no-pooing...though i've been telling all my friends, and i'm not sure ANY have tried it! But i'm the extra-crunchy one of the group. Post again if you have any problems.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your support! A "friend" of mine had posted the link on her facebook, but I've been hesitant to ask any of my friends IRL about it because this same "friend" told ME I was too pushy with my Go Green-ness..

so MDC is a haven for me

We do have soft water so I think I should be ok.

·
Registered
518 Posts
MDC is a haven for all us weirdos!!!

In my area, i'm vegetarian, and have only two veg friends. TWO. Luckily, most of them like my ideas and i have a lot to share--stuff they've never heard of.

"Green-ness" isn't a fad, it isn't something that we're just interested in--it's necessary! I don't like saying what people should and shouldn't do, but really, everyone SHOULD be aware of what they're doing to the Earth and to their bodies.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree! I pmed this friend and told her I was trying family cloth (sorry, little off topic). I didn't pressure her AT ALL to try it. I just told her because *I* thought it was cool and was excited... i figured SHE of all people would understnad. But apparently I was WAY wrong. We got in a huge fight.
Yea... that's what I get for sharing my excitement with friends.

So I retreat to MDC and hide out.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Family cloth is the one thing i'm a little secretive about. Well i suppose i keep the homemade pads and menstrual cup under wraps, for the most part, too. I'll only tell people if they ask or if i know they'll love me anyway.
I don't hide the bag of family cloth, though. I think it's such a great thing to do--i WANT people to ask!

I'm sorry you got into a fight with your friend--i can't imagine how it got to that point! But i suppose people can be afraid of change, afraid of thinking there may be something "wrong" with what they're doing. ???

·
Registered
720 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. I haven't been shampooing my hair everyday. When i do, i use the Burts Bees color keep fennel seeds kind and just concentrate on the scalp. My hair feels super frizzy and dry, but i use Olive Oil as a conditioner. I dont get why its acting this way! And i also have a bit of scalp dandruff/excema and its super itchy! My hair feels way worse than it did when i shampoo/conditioned every other day.
Any tips out there for successful no-poo-ers?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amber913 View Post

I'm sorry you got into a fight with your friend--i can't imagine how it got to that point! But i suppose people can be afraid of change, afraid of thinking there may be something "wrong" with what they're doing. ???
She got very defensive. And she also accused me of a few other things. So it wasn't just the FC. Basically she's perfect and I'm a jerk.

anwyays. Yea. Sorry. tangent. lol.

Bettina I dont know but I hope someone does!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post
I must be doing something wrong. I haven't been shampooing my hair everyday. When i do, i use the Burts Bees color keep fennel seeds kind and just concentrate on the scalp. My hair feels super frizzy and dry, but i use Olive Oil as a conditioner. I dont get why its acting this way! And i also have a bit of scalp dandruff/excema and its super itchy! My hair feels way worse than it did when i shampoo/conditioned every other day.
So you're using Burts Bees shampoo?

In any case, a change in climate can make your scalp and hair dry, as can hormonal changes, diet. As an example, something i've been complaining about on here--i now have the worst acne of my life--no idea why, what's causing it. I've done everything, and nothing seems to work. I've decided that it's just a season in my life.

Try not to wash your hair until it's greasy--that should help restore moisture to your scalp.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post

Hi,
I have dandruff/itchy scalp too and I use baking soda to 'wash' my scalp. Just mix a little with water and then pour over my head, scrub in and rinse. Then I mix maybe 2 Tlbs of apple cider vinigar with about a cup of water and pour that over and rinse. My hair felt a little wierd the first few days but now that I have been doing it for weeks it feels great. and my scalp feels good. My head was so sensitive to anything with 'fragrence' before because it was so dry and itchy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on me. It's been over a week now and my hair is oily as expected. But even so, it curls very nicely and holds perfectly all day. So I think once the oiliness is gone it's going to be very nice on my hair

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Update on me. It's been over a week now and my hair is oily as expected. But even so, it curls very nicely and holds perfectly all day. So I think once the oiliness is gone it's going to be very nice on my hair

Are you no-pooing or just letting it go so your scalp adjusts?

I'd heard once that if you wash or no-poo your hair once a week, it'll take about 3 months to adjust. Now, i'd assume it depends on how oily your hair gets in the first place and what climate you live in.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm no pooing. My hair is normally pretty oily so I wash every other day. I had a shower last night and today is actually quite a bit less greasy. I think it's making teh turn-around already
I'd actually feel ok leaving the house today. lol.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I love these no-poo threads!!

I've been doing an odd combo of a little of shampoo & bs together once every 4-5 days. This seems to work the best so far and now I just have to wean myself from the little bit of shampoo I use.

I was having huge problems with my hair getting too greasy and oily and so far this is the only solution which has worked so far!

I also have started to comb cornstarch through my hair if it begins to "look" or "feel" too greasy before I want to wash it, and that has been a godsend to stretch out the days a bit more. Also my hair looks wonderful & feels great after I do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.