Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to go no-poo with my hair. All my life I had thick straight hair until I started having thyroid problems. With my meds my hair started to get stringy and wavy. It looked awful most of the time, so I went ahead and got a body perm so that it would have more curl since it was no longer straight anyway. I've gotten 3 so far. It is time for another, but I really want to stop using chemicals on my body altogether. Will the no-poo make my hair look better? How do I manage stringy (but still thick), lifeless, wavy hair. I'd prefer to cut it in a pixie style, but I look awful like that. I've tried before. Right now, it's mid-back length. I have a hard time getting it to stay in a bun or do much of anything else. I don't wear make-up, so my hair is the only way I fancy up IYKWIM. I've been considering dreadlocks, but I don't know how DH would feel about them, or myself for that matter. I had them once before, did them myself over a night, and they fell right out. I'd love to see some recommendations on how to have a hairstyle that is no-chemical, freeing, and sophisticated at the same time. That's what I want.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post

I'm getting ready to go no-poo with my hair. All my life I had thick straight hair until I started having thyroid problems. With my meds my hair started to get stringy and wavy. It looked awful most of the time, so I went ahead and got a body perm so that it would have more curl since it was no longer straight anyway. I've gotten 3 so far. It is time for another, but I really want to stop using chemicals on my body altogether. Will the no-poo make my hair look better? How do I manage stringy (but still thick), lifeless, wavy hair. I'd prefer to cut it in a pixie style, but I look awful like that. I've tried before. Right now, it's mid-back length. I have a hard time getting it to stay in a bun or do much of anything else. I don't wear make-up, so my hair is the only way I fancy up IYKWIM. I've been considering dreadlocks, but I don't know how DH would feel about them, or myself for that matter. I had them once before, did them myself over a night, and they fell right out. I'd love to see some recommendations on how to have a hairstyle that is no-chemical, freeing, and sophisticated at the same time. That's what I want.
I can't speak about no-poo since it didn't really work for me.

As for doing something with your hair, I have found that wearing my hair up during a funky stage has really helped. Have you checked out any YouTube videos for rag curls, sock buns, foam curlers, or other no-heat curling methods? I'm not sure if any of those appeal to you, but they are worth a look. I am a fan of doing a sock bun; here is the sock bun video. The great thing is - if you do a nicely placed sock bun, you can actually wear it out of the house that way (rather than wearing it overnight waiting for the curls). I like contemporary, youthful styles, so I just stylize it in a way that is a little more modern. It's all personal preference, though. There are tons of other no/low heat curling videos on YouTube if you do a search.

Also, I have heard really good things about spin pins and The Perfect Pony, but I don't have personal experience with either of them.

(Whoops, I just realized how old this was. Oh well, maybe it will interest someone.
shy.gif
)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.