Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our 10 week old baby hasn't pooped for 7 days. she did this a few weeks ago. went 7 days. however, that time it didn't seem to bother her as much as it does this time. she's cranky, and i imagine much of it has to do with her lack of pooping!

i got some glycerine suppositories today, but don't want to use them unless i have to.

what would you do?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have read this can be quite normal, esp with breastfed babies. My baby went ten or eleven days without pooping at a few months old, and my friend's baby went two weeks. And when these babies finally pooped, well, let's say you might want to be prepared.

One of the baby books I have suggests a gloved (of course you are her mama) & lubricated pinky finger or thermometer inserted just a wee bit will start things going. I have also read that you can give a spoon or two of prune juice even though baby is not otherwise eating food.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Both my daughters have done this. With one, our then pediatrician said that with exclusively breast fed babies, she doesn't really have concerns until it approaches the 2 week mark. It did, and we went back in, and she used KY on a q-tip to gently stimulate her bottom and everything was resolved right then and there, lol.

She was much happier.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My dd used to this all the time as a babe. It would be over a week, then she'd poo and feel better. It is compeletly natural in a bf baby.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
BeanBean used to go 7-10 days between poops. Once he went 12 days, but when it finally happened... well, we don't have an exploding diaper smilie here. :LOL

My mom says that my sister once went 18 days while she was exclusively breastfed, and then she filled her bassinet. :LOL If the baby seems uncomfortable, I'd offer some prune juice. If not, I'd wait at least 14 days before starting to worry.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My DD used to also go several days between poops when she was exclusively breastfed. As mentioned, it is very normal. Besides the suggestions already mentioned, a nurse also suggested a soak in a warm bath to relax her, and/or moving her legs in a circular motion as if she was bicycling. I would hold off on the suppositories for now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I posted something similar in the BF section - my girlie is at 5 days but she also gets a bit of organic pureed babyfood in the evening when we have our dinner (usually 1/3-1/2 a jar...) She's gone 4 days before, but now we're on 5. She's crotchety, but I think it's because she's also teething, as she's drooling like a St. Bernard.

She's mostly all BF except for the bit of pureed food in the eve, so does that make a difference? I've been giving pureed prunes the past 2-3 nights in hopes of moving things along...

Last time after 4 days it required an IMMEDIATE sink bath as she got it everywhere!!! Ugh!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies.

she's done this once before, gone 7 days w/o pooping. but that time she didn't seem as uncomfortable as she does this time. that's why i'm wondering how long to let her go. i certainly don't want to do anything that'll make her dependent on stimulation in the future, but i also don't want her to be miserable. poor thing. she just grunts and farts and cries off and on all day and night.

we're going on a road trip this friday. if she hasn't gone by thursday evening we're gonna make her go so she doesn't end up going in her carseat! that has the potential to be very very messy.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If she's farting, that means things are moving along, albeit slowly.

Fussy could be from teething, tired, etc as well, not just the need to go. Have you tried rubbing her belly and pumping her legs?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kcocat
I posted something similar in the BF section - my girlie is at 5 days but she also gets a bit of organic pureed babyfood in the evening when we have our dinner (usually 1/3-1/2 a jar...) She's gone 4 days before, but now we're on 5. She's crotchety, but I think it's because she's also teething, as she's drooling like a St. Bernard.

She's mostly all BF except for the bit of pureed food in the eve, so does that make a difference? I've been giving pureed prunes the past 2-3 nights in hopes of moving things along...

Last time after 4 days it required an IMMEDIATE sink bath as she got it everywhere!!! Ugh!
My oldest (6 as of yesterday!) Still goes every 3 or 4 days. I think that as long as they are still peeing and don't seem to be uncomfortable they are fine. I'd be careful w/ prune 'cause the only time my oldest went more then once in a day was when she ate a bunch of prunes. I think she pooped for about 2 days! :LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts